• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newest project

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
Well most know that I spend every chance I get on the water. One of my goals for 2007 is to pass on a lot of little fish and focus on catching trophy trout. There are many sections of water that I will target but I thought it would help to start keeping very detailed data on my trips since some of these rivers are not my home water. So I wanted to get my laptop mounted in the Jeep and hooked up with the GPS so that I could record various waypoints and their associated conditions (yes I take my fishing far too seriously).

I use a Garmin V GPS and really like it. I stole my mounting idea from JEONLYEP (Daryl). The only changes I made was that I used some pretty beefy aluminum angle instead of flat sheets. (Thanks for your help Daryl.) I got the supports made and mounted up today. The inverter is located under my seat. I ran the chord for the PC under the center console and out through the ashtray. I ran the GPS chord into the dash (on top of the radio) and then down into the back of the ashtray. When I'm not using the equipment, the chords tuck nicely into the ashtray and it closes up. Here's some pics:

This is an overall pic of the brackets.
4deszg9.jpg

4id0olj.jpg

4ccwbw0.jpg

2zj9c3n.jpg

The right side radio mount broke off when I was doing the final fitting of the bracket today so I had to do some re-drilling. That's why I have a few extra holes on that right bracket now. That infuriated my OCD. :flamemad:

44uiud2.jpg

Chords coming out of the ashtray:
48ox204.jpg

2q33hqx.jpg

Right now I'm using the City Select software. I would like something that shows a bit more water but I haven't found it yet.

-river

Hey,

That's looking good. I have been looking for some way to mount my laptop up in the car for my GPS as well. Just wondering what you mounted those brackets to? I can't think of what's behind there that the screws are going into.

I would probably have to look into something a little more heavy duty though. My computer weighs slightly less than 9 lbs. Guess that's what I get for goin high end though :doh:

Where did you end up getting the materials?

Nice job,

Scott

Scott,

The highest screws go into where the radio mounts. The reason the right one is higher is because when I did the final install the plastic in the right section of the dash broke. So I re-drilled another hole a bit higher and then used the existing nut clip. The lower screws go right into the bottom holes for the climate control. It's actually very strong. My laptop is very heavy and the mounts don't budge at all. The aluminum angle is from Home Depot.

hows it affect when u are drivin the rig? or do u just not have the pc mounted during that period?

ladywolf said:
hows it affect when u are drivin the rig? or do u just not have the pc mounted during that period?
Looks like the angle iron folds up and out of the way when the laptop isnt there.

But with it in, seems like it would be a pain to have to shift and things like that.

When not in use it does fold up and out of the way. I wasn't able to re-use the trim around the face of the radio. Yesterday I drove for 4 hours with the PC in just to try out the setup. It was fine for me. I still have room to reach under and shift. To me, that's not a big issue b/c I don;t find myself having to shift all that much and shifting an auto really isn't that big of a deal. I use the Ipod in my vehicle so when I need to make changes...it's mostly through the actual Ipod and not the tuner.

The majority of my time is spent on forest roads and getting to the water so I thin it's going to be really nice for that.

unrealtrip said:
Something to consider if you want to model your next design off of this.

TREK1.jpg

Trek%20Installed.jpg

http://www.mobiledesk.com/Trek.htm

The only problem with that design, and the one below, would be no passenger. I'm sure someone could fit there, but the uncomfortability level would be insane. And room for one more is almost a must :lecture:

Scott

I actually had something like those in the works using part of a stand that I got from a music teacher I work with. I have a fire extinguisher mounted in the way and more importantly...it really does make it difficult for my passenger to sit comfortably. Her and I both have the summers off so we take some long trips and I can't have her complaining about leg room for weeks at a time.

Back