• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY weld on beadlock rings

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
www.offroadoverstock.com

8 rings for $230, that's pretty tempting.
I was running a narrow 32x9.50 TSL tire last year and loosing my bead often, sucks pretty bad especially in muddy ruts, they seem to pry them right off there. I even did it on a side hill on a small 4" stump that hit perfectly. POOF! Gone, no air. It felt like my Jeep almost tipped it dropped so fast!
Running 12-14 pounds too! I popped a 12.50 off a 7" wheel also 3 times the same season. Getting tired of stopping everybody for 20 minutes to swap to my spare and having to go home and clean 40lbs of muck out of my good tire.

They mention the wheel may have to be modified, grinded down along the very outer lip if it has a lip. The inner ring needs a true flat surface to sit on once welded around the outside. Doesn't see too bad of a project.
I would recommend for any DD, but for an off road only this seems nice for about $60 a wheel. Other places I'm seeing the kits for $80-130 a wheel.

Another good thing is it widens the wheel about 2" too. So you could do this to a stock Jeep steelie and make it a 15x9 almost. I think I might do it.

We are not them but it only widens the wheel by the thickness of your tire bead.....Usually 5/8" - 1".

Weld on beadlocks are a pretty easy but time consuming project and I agree, if they are 1/4" thick that is a pretty good buy. If they are 3/16" I would likely not buy, speaking as a company that makes and uses them.

Dan Fredrickson
Ruffstuff Specialties

Contact TwistedCustoms (605-923-7288) Brian E. is planning to do a run of 15" weld on beadlocks. I think the price is right around the price you listed, but call them if interested to make sure.

barillms said:
They widen your wheel the thickness of the inner ring (1/4")
PLUS, the thickness of your bead.

Only if the kit is for a "fit on the rim" rather than a "fit within" the rim kit, very few are fit on because the weld is more difficult and the manufacturers do not want the liability.

A "fit within" ring is basically a 1/8" fill weld around the ring. Very easy.

A "fit on the rim" ring is an edge weld all the way around, it is more difficult to weld and also makes mounting tires more of a pain.

Dan Fredrickson
Ruffstuff Specialties

barillms said:
www.offroadoverstock.com

8 rings for $230, that's pretty tempting.
I was running a narrow 32x9.50 TSL tire last year and loosing my bead often, sucks pretty bad especially in muddy ruts, they seem to pry them right off there. I even did it on a side hill on a small 4" stump that hit perfectly. POOF! Gone, no air. It felt like my Jeep almost tipped it dropped so fast!
Running 12-14 pounds too! I popped a 12.50 off a 7" wheel also 3 times the same season. Getting tired of stopping everybody for 20 minutes to swap to my spare and having to go home and clean 40lbs of muck out of my good tire.

They mention the wheel may have to be modified, grinded down along the very outer lip if it has a lip. The inner ring needs a true flat surface to sit on once welded around the outside. Doesn't see too bad of a project.
I would recommend for any DD, but for an off road only this seems nice for about $60 a wheel. Other places I'm seeing the kits for $80-130 a wheel.

Another good thing is it widens the wheel about 2" too. So you could do this to a stock Jeep steelie and make it a 15x9 almost. I think I might do it.

first - mot stock jeeps came with aluminum rims - the stealies were only on the cheapo strip down models...

second - i think your issue has more to do with your POS steel rims being bent than your wheeling style or pressure in the tire. This summer i noticed that after loosing a bead once and driving even a very short ways on the rim, that the tire wouldnt seat as well on that rim and burped air on that corner and I eventually lost the bead again and bent the rim even more...

Id reccomend buying some NICE alloy rims - the wheels that cost about $120 a piece... and give them a run or two... see how many beads you loose...

maybe you dont need to go adding 50lbs and a whole torque nightmare to your rig?

and if the wheels still dont hold a bead - ship them to Champion, write a check, and never deal with it again! :D

:scottm:

There's a lot better deals out there. Well, okay, a bit better. But for a better product. The 32 bolt ones are better...

I was going to pick some up, but, well, okay, I had to sell the 35s first and apparently nobody likes BFGs? Pfft. What do they know?

What Rd said:
I'm sorely tempted. Let us know how you like them, Brian.

THey are all welded in and painted, will start assembling them sometime this week.

34is9bl.jpg

Last edited:
Way cool effect on that paint job. How did you do that?
[edit] OK, I found the other thread . . . but there's something not right about you getting such an awesome effect without trying! Let us know how it holds up - and then the brands of the primer and top coat!

Last edited:
What Rd said:
Way cool effect on that paint job. How did you do that?
[edit] OK, I found the other thread . . . but there's something not right about you getting such an awesome effect without trying! Let us know how it holds up - and then the brands of the primer and top coat!

Order your locks and send them to me for the paint job.:D , just PM me when you are ready to paint yours.

BRIANHO13 said:
Order your locks and send them to me for the paint job.:D , just PM me when you are ready to paint yours.
Hell with that. I'll come down there to wheel, weld and paint!

You guys got me thinking on these.....None of those prices are good!

I had a long talk with my cutter and this price is what we came up with.....

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903520

Thats right, $175 DELIVERED for 15", 1/4" thick Beadlock kits, find a better price or better quality, I dare you! Thes are also only made in the US, we sell nothing made in China or anywhere else for that matter.....

Re: You guys got me thinking on these.....None of those prices are good!

Gravel Maker said:
I had a long talk with my cutter and this price is what we came up with.....

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903520

Thats right, $175 DELIVERED for 15", 1/4" thick Beadlock kits, find a better price or better quality, I dare you! Thes are also only made in the US, we sell nothing made in China or anywhere else for that matter.....

That is a darn good price, might want to center the hole pattern on the outter ring to help with anti coning.

Re: You guys got me thinking on these.....None of those prices are good!

BRIANHO13 said:
That is a darn good price, might want to center the hole pattern on the outter ring to help with anti coning.

Not all wheels are created equal! The holes are where they work with ALL of the wheels we have encountered, we offer an anticoning ring if you wish, to be welded on the inside edge of the inner ring. But we don't want to make a ring that only fits some wheels.

We have been making these for 2 years but have never pushed them, one of my cutters says he can beat the hell out of the price we have been paying if we bought any real quantity so I had him make 80 sets (640 rings) and he blew the other guys away. So, here we are with a very real price thats finally within the realm of everyone!

Dan Fredrickson
Ruffstuff Specialties

Back