• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sort of flipped tie-rod

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
So I had this idea and was wondering what you guys thought of it. I know you can put inserts in and re-drill the tapered holes for the tie-rod ends so you can mount the tie-rod above the mounting tab instead of below it for better clearance. But if you do this I imagine you would get quite a bit of bump steer do to the fact that the drag-link and track bar are at completely different angles now. So here is what I was thinking, I still have the factory style drag-link and tie-rod, instead of mounting the drivers side & passengers side above the mounting tab I would just move the drivers side above it. Would this work, I don't see why it wouldn't? I would have a lot more clearance and my drag-link would still be lined up with my track bar as good as it was from the factory so bump steer would not be an issue. What do you think?

Bumpsteer is a favorite pile on topic used by web wheelers. They think that if the arms are not perfectly parallel that when you hit a small bump, you will end up in the ditch.

Experience has shown me that it takes a significant difference before you can even notice it at all.

Well I am a little worried because I also have a dropped pitman arm, so if I were to flip the tie-rod on the passenger side the angle would be quite a bit different. I know that the bumpsteer won't put me in the ditch but when you are driving fast at the dunes and you are using all your suspension travel it becomes very noticable and annoying.

You dont get bumpsteer if you make the needed corrections to the trackbar angle as well. There is no half measure here to get it right. See my write up for the insight. www.go.jeep-xj.info
You can however do what you say but is really a half measure and you would still need to remove the dropped ptman arm uness you correct the trackbar angle as well.

jeepboy381 said:
...So here is what I was thinking, I still have the factory style drag-link and tie-rod, instead of mounting the drivers side & passengers side above the mounting tab I would just move the drivers side above it. Would this work, I don't see why it wouldn't? I would have a lot more clearance and my drag-link would still be lined up with my track bar as good as it was from the factory so bump steer would not be an issue. What do you think?
In order to flip the passenger side, you would need a drag link from a RHD XJ. (The bends in your drag link make it impossible to use flipped.) So that is why most people only flip the driver side tie rod. It has no effect on the geometry between drag link and track bar so you are correct that bumpsteer is not an issue with this mod.

here's the clearance with that setup:

DSC00066.JPG

DSC09517.JPG

old_man said:
Bumpsteer is a favorite pile on topic used by web wheelers. They think that if the arms are not perfectly parallel that when you hit a small bump, you will end up in the ditch.

Experience has shown me that it takes a significant difference before you can even notice it at all.

I'll agree. You don't get bumpsteer until it looks like this:

DSC00013.JPG

In my opinion this seems like a very simple mod that would greatly improve tie-rod clearance. If you look at the pictures IntrepidXJ posted you can see a huge improvement in ground clearance and how much does it cost... maybe $20.00 and some labor! Well this mod is next on my list, just need some Knuckle Shims to get rid of the taper, then I need to re-taper from the top, and probably move the sway bar mount out of the way. Thanks for all the post's!

What is does not offer is any relief in the drag link tie rod angles which could well be limiting your down travel placing a lot of strain on them. Or even the reduced effort in the steering from having flatter drag link and the higher roll centre which reduces body roll.

Back