• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'78 Ford 8.8 Really Worth It?

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
Im being offered a '78 8.8 from a Bronco for $25 locally. Is it really worth my time to swap it in for the Dana35 or should I just polish the 35?

The splines are the same arent they, and they are both drum, and both cheap so wouldnt really matter which is under the XJ.

The 8.8 is much stronger than the D35 (that´s why I swapped it under my trail rig after the r&p went south) - for me one of the reasons for the 8.8 where the disc brakes which were "free" - when it doesn´t matter to you, take the cheap axle and run it!

BRIANHO13 said:
78 broncos were 9" I think.
I have a 78 Bronco - definitely a 9". The 8.8 wasn't introduced until the early 1980s. One obvious way to tell, of course, is that the 9" doesn't have a removeable cover, whereas the 8.8 does.

Here's what he has to say about it, and the $50 buck part he reduced it to $25 a couple replies ago.

Seller said:
XJoshua said:
Ohh Ohh I want it!!! I have $50 and will hand it over hands down.
Just can you give me some info. Inside length from drum to drum. Gear ratio, and lug distance 5.5" correct or 4.5"?
If you still have it I might be able to pick it up tuesday or thursday if I ever find out when I go back to school.
-Joshua
It is 59 to 60 inches from inside of drum to drum. I will have to measure the lugs, but the front end was a dana 44 so it is most likely the 5.5" lugs. I haven't opened the diff cover at all. So I don't know the gears. If I had to take a guess it would be 3:73 since the front dana 44 has them.
Thanks

So we are sure its a Ford 9"? He seems pretty sure on it being a 8.8" so Im woundering if some sucker befor ehim swapped in a 8.8". Im going to give him a call and see if I can come pick it up tomorrow since I get paid today. Anything to look at, and how do you tell if its bent or something looks seriously out of place?

Will the XJ still feel like a XJ? If I remember the rear axle should be slightly less in width then the front, and what exactly does full width mean(other then full in width which Im still stuck on because axles come in different sizes)?

Future wise I plan on getting a 4.5" lift and run 33"s. I plan to build it up for a mild pre-runner and daily driver. I believe itll still feel fine on the road due to the stroker making up for the heavier weight fo skids, and heavy axle.

Please provide any extra info I might have missed above...

Back