• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5" lift

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I am getting ready to order all the parts for my 2.5" lift but I am worried about vibrations once put on......I dont want to put out the money for an sye and i hear that transfer case lowering kits arent very good....If I do end up having to get an SYE I might as well go with an RE super ride with full packs....BUT, I dont want to have to dish out that much cash since I have a little one on the way.

So how many of you have lifted 2"-2 1/2" and have experienced vibes, or have not??? Thanks

Mike

sorry, forgot to mention all of that....Its a 99 2dr SE model...I am not positive which axle I have but I THINK its a D35. How can I tell the difference?

???

Both rears will have an oval shaped cover. 8.25" rears will have a Chrysler star cast into the housing near the pinion. Also, the Chrysler rears will have a 6" or so straight flat bottom on the diff housing, while the Danas are rounded on the bottom.

Ok so I went out and looked at my rear axle and I have an 8.25"....

thats what i think

there is a good chance you wont have a lot of vibrations because i used to have a charokee with a 4 in lift and had very little vibrations and it was probably just ball joints or something but yeah if you did buy a sye it would be a great choice because i now have a charokee with a 6 in long arm and i have an sye and it has no vibration at all at any speed

I definetely dont plan on ever going larger than 31's

XbajajeepX said:
I definetely dont plan on ever going larger than 31's
No one does ;)

haha yeah...I can say I dont "plan" on going bigger for quite some time...with the new addition to the family and all.

newer XJ's have alot more trouble with vibes than older ones...

so if that XJ with 4" lift and no SYE didnt have vibes but was a 1991, that might be why.

some newer XJs came with T-case drops installed on them from the lot cause they had vibes.

but i think 2 1/2 inches should be fine. if not, see if a t-case drop will do the trick. there's nothign really wrong with them.

Oizarod115 said:
newer XJ's have alot more trouble with vibes than older ones...

so if that XJ with 4" lift and no SYE didnt have vibes but was a 1991, that might be why.

some newer XJs came with T-case drops installed on them from the lot cause they had vibes.

but i think 2 1/2 inches should be fine. if not, see if a t-case drop will do the trick. there's nothign really wrong with them.

I dunno, my 97 has no vibes at 3.5" with no sye.

A guy I work with has a 2000 with 4.5 an no vibes/no sye

I kind of doubt the factory t-case drop story, I can't see why the driveline angles would suddenly get so steep that XJs were rolling off the production lines with bad vibes... Not to say it couldn't happen, it just doesn't make much sense.

But back to the topic...

2.5" should be fine without a t-case drop or an sye, regardless of year. It is unique, jeep to jeep, which ones will need attention, but for the vast majority, that number is safe.

t-case drops are cheap and work fine, they are just not the ideal fix for off-roading. On a DD/occasional trail rig it'd be more than fine.

RE hack 'n' tap SYEs can be done on 96+ XJs for around $150 if you buy from the right places and use a junkyard front DS...

BTW, I never planned to go bigger than the 31s I have on now.

Now I'm planning out how I'm gonna get 35s on there.

Archdukeferdinand said:
I kind of doubt the factory t-case drop story, I can't see why the driveline angles would suddenly get so steep that XJs were rolling off the production lines with bad vibes... Not to say it couldn't happen, it just doesn't make much sense.
That WAS a factory fix to a TSB issued by vibe problems on late XJ's.My 2000 had vibes from day ! w/ no lift!It wasnt about angles but the lack of output shaft support due to the new design!

RCP Phx said:
That WAS a factory fix to a TSB issued by vibe problems on late XJ's.My 2000 had vibes from day ! w/ no lift!It wasnt about angles but the lack of output shaft support due to the new design!

I stand corrected, that would also explain the friend's 2000 on 4.5" with no SYE.

Although if it was a problem with support rather than angle, it sounds like a beefier crossmember would have been the solution rather than a drop.

I'm not too up on the differences in the latest models, mainly with the change from 4.0 the 4.0 HO and the 96-97 redesign.

What exactly changed to need a dropped TC? Or was it a crossmember issue that also happened to include a TC drop in the fix?

We are talking about the output shaft,bearing,and lack of a final tailcone.It has nothing to do with the crossmember,theyre all the same!

I think you will find, quite a few people say they have little or no vibration.... but once they finally install a SYE and realize how smooth the rig is, it all finally clicks. Dam! i did have vibration and all those people that told me i would need a SYE were right!

I can say, i am one of those.:D

I dont need crazy clearance either...I live in the desert so most of what I do is desert running and old mine searching. Thats why I only want to go 2.5" to clear the 31's I have on there now

RCP Phx said:
We are talking about the output shaft,bearing,and lack of a final tailcone.It has nothing to do with the crossmember,theyre all the same!
Hence my question. I'm well aware that XJ TC crossmembers are all the same... Someone else posted that it wasn't a question of angles, but of support. I thought they meant support for the TC in general and that it was manifesting itself in vibes at the output shaft, which is where the crossmember comment came from.

If it isn't a question of angles, then how did dropping the T-case fix the output shaft problems? I fail to see how dropping the t-case down does anything to increase the strength of any involved parts, unless by doing so you alleviate stress that was there (still not increasing the stregth, but at least longevity/durability)...

What I think I'm hearing from people right now is that there was a problem with the support of the output shaft (undersized bearings?) and that the fix was to do NOTHING to address the actual design, and was to MOVE the transfer case, with the same shaft/bearing/tailcone problems...

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to learn more, can someone please explain how this works out as a fix if the original problem had nothing to with angles?

Last edited:
Back