• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Pedal Sticks after new MC

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I just put in a new MC for the clutch in my 90 XJ and the clutch pedal sticks a good bit when pushed all the way to the floor. Sometimes it won't come back up and others it sticks a bit then bucks into gear. Could this be a result of in-proper bleeding or is this just because it's a new part? It shifts better than it has in years BTW

90 XJ 4.0 AX-15

I have no access to a vacuum bleeder so what's the best way to do it? I ran about 20oz of dot3 thru there just by gravity bleedin at first.

Slave cyl is new as of 20k miles ago

Have some-one pressing on the clutch and loosen the nut on the line at the MC. With enough pressing of the clutch pedal, most of the air should come to the highest point in the line.
Bubbles should show up in the reservior when you release the pedal. If that doesn't get all the air out, THEN bleed the top line.

So you're saying I should bleed it by disconnecting the line from the MC just enough to leak? Should that be done before or after you use the bleeder?

Did you pump the pedal several times slowly?
Most of the time you can get all th air out at the MC line. You should be able to tell when all the air is out. This is where a brake bleeder pump is handy plus a plastic line to retrieve the fluid.

Back