• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire swing out

aussiewheeler

NAXJA Forum User
well im building my own rear bumper and i have the mounting and the main tube of the bumper all built but now i need to design the swingout, i was wondering if i should have the tire in the center of the bumper or if i should have it on the passenger or driver side?. i have seen all different designs but dont know which one gives the best visibility.
thanks

Behind the driver gives you the best view but then there is all that extra leverage on the pivot with the tyre that far away from it unless you swing the tyre into the traffic (away from the kerb). I have mine just to the passenger side of centre. Less leverage on the pivot but I can still see between the tyre and 'D' pillar on the passenger side which gives me some rear view. Best bet is to get the tyre and puit it on a bench or something leaning against the back of the Jeep, then move it around and find the best compromise for you :)

Cheers
Steve

have you seen the c-rok tire carrier? i was thinking about buying his tire carrier and welding the mounts to my homemade rear bumper. Byt then again, i may end up making my own similar design because I am too poor to spend that much money on a tire carrier..........:/

Like Steve F said, less leveraging force on the swingarm by putting it closer to the hinge. Also try to keep the tire mount itself as close to the back of your XJ as possible. Having it stick out a ways can add quite a bit of stress.

Im sure you have already thought of it, but, just make sure you have a solid tie into the unibody & dont just rely on the stock mounting points to hold the weight of a bumper/carrier & wheel.

i put mine in the center and i like being able to see out of both sides of my rear window. My tire also sits high enough that i can see through the holes in the rim for a direct rear view too.
mattbumper002.jpg

mattbumper001.jpg

Back