• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny output shaft spline count interchange question

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah, I did a search and all the threads I found dealt with interchangeability between early and mid-90's transmissions.

I found only one thread that had this reply: "any Xj 91+ is 23spline" But no specific reference to both manual and auto transmissions being 23 spline.

I need to know:
(1) If my '93 AX15 and np231 has the 23 spline output shaft?

(2) Will my TeraLow 4:1 t-case mate with a '92 and newer auto trans? Are all '91 and newer autos 23 spline?

I'm considering the transition to an auto, but I don't want to give up my TeraLow if the one I have won't mate to the auto.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm
00G003RR.jpg

Excellent link! Thanks!

So, from going to the Novak website, I looked at the specs for both the AX15 and the later model AW4 and it appears my t-case should work???

"The Jeep AX15 has a 23 spline output shaft for connecting to the transfer case input shaft."

"With the release of the HO 4.0L in the 1991 the AW4 was upgraded to a 23 spline output shaft."

It doesn't appear that the Novak adaptor would be needed right?

Edit: Well, now I'm still confused. Looking at what's in the Novak adaptor info posted above, they say "We've seen the AW4 with both a 21 and 23 spline long output shaft"....... Does anyone know if they're refering to the 21 spline being pre HO engine and the 23 spline being post HO engine?
I found this from their website: "The earlier Jeep AW4 has a 21 spline output shaft for connecting to the transfer case input shaft. With the release of the HO 4.0L in the 1991 the AW4 was upgraded to a 23 spline output shaft."

Think that means that all '91 and later AW4's had 23 splines?

Last edited:
.............also don't you have to take in consideration the amount of shaft "stickout"?

-Ron

Yeah, I'm also assuming from the Novak site that all post '91 AW4's had the longer output shaft...... but I'm not sure if the AX15 is flush or sticks out....... :dunno:

Anyone else know?

Back