• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you have tn diRaonnect@doth sides of your rway"`r?

condoor

NAXJA Forum User
Do you have to disconnect both sides of your swaybar?

Do you have to disconnect both sides of your swaybar in order to gain the maximum increase in flex, or can you just do one side. It would seem that if one side is connected it would still somewhat limit flex, but I've seen people that just disconnect one side and say that's all you need. I have a '00 XJ and will be using the ratchet/socket quick disco method until I get real quick discos under there so I'd rather just do one if that's all I need.

thx
Chris

Re: Do you have to disconnect both sides of your swaybar?

for a sway bar to work u need both sides
so if u disconnect just one its going to flex

but i would still diconnect both sides in order to get full potential and also
just having one side connected will put alot of stress on that one side.

cas

Do both sides. Doing only one is half-assing it. Both sides for maximum articulation.

Something to ponder:
If only one was needed, why do they sell them in pairs?

Swaybar doesn't afford you much lateral movement as that trackbar swings the axle during flex - more bushings to stress out. Also consider what the disconnected swaybar will be hitting now that it is attached to a flexy axle, on both sides. May limit uptravel and/or downtravel.

As the connected side drops, the disconnect side will also drop and meet a stuffing axle. Geometries vary, but consider it.

I've run with just one disconnected because it was too damn cold and muddy to climb under there, and the consequences are awesome holes punched into the inner fender by the very top of the swaybar bolts.

Doing one side will get you all the twist it is going to do with both off, the problem is when you are crossed up the disconected side may be hitting your fender or the axle. So disconect both and keep it out of the way.

Back