• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake boosters question

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking into replacing my brake booster on my 96 cherokee. No ABS on this jeep if that matters. I have a leak that can be heard by the brake booster everytime you push the pedal down. Will a booster out of a 91 comanche work in my 96? Any differences?

Kim

85xjwoody said:
I am looking into replacing my brake booster on my 96 cherokee. No ABS on this jeep if that matters. I have a leak that can be heard by the brake booster everytime you push the pedal down. Will a booster out of a 91 comanche work in my 96? Any differences?

Kim
The 91 used a single diaphragm, your 96 uses a double. IIRC you would have to go after 94 for it to be a direct swap, but don't quote me on that.

Before spending bucks on a new booster, check that there is a good seal between the booster and the master cylinder. On a dual diaphram, it needs to be sealed.

95+ have the dual diaphram booster dont skimp nd get the single i wont wrk as well. also old man is right make sure ou have a good seal, when i did mine i didnt know it needed one till it had already swaped it out twice!

Do *NOT* go to the single diaphragm booster. You will regret it. Quite a number of us with the single diaphragm booster specifically have installed the doubles for the better braking.

Back