• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

limited slip or locker in 2000

guzzirider

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put some type of traction enhancer in my wifes 2000 XJ. It currently has 2wd ( one on each end). Any suggestions and possible cost. It has to be a no brainer so ARB is out

still shoveling in CO

I have an LSD here that I got off someone here, and I was going to put it in, until I saw a TV show comparing new 1/2 tons with traction assists, including LSD. The first test they did was driving uphill and one wheel would drive onto a bunch of rollers (simulating ice I guess) and the LSD sucked... the truck ended up rolling back down hill as the LSD did nothing for traction, the spinning tire just kept spinning and the other had no traction what-so-ever.
So I decided not to install it and sell it if I can... granted I just crapped on it, ahwell.

lockright. no brainer install. i bought one new with no box from a friend, found instructions on the internet and installed it in 2 hours. works great. clicks a little

-Tim

beakie said:
I have an LSD here that I got off someone here, and I was going to put it in, until I saw a TV show comparing new 1/2 tons with traction assists, including LSD. The first test they did was driving uphill and one wheel would drive onto a bunch of rollers (simulating ice I guess) and the LSD sucked... the truck ended up rolling back down hill as the LSD did nothing for traction, the spinning tire just kept spinning and the other had no traction what-so-ever.
So I decided not to install it and sell it if I can... granted I just crapped on it, ahwell.

That is the most rediculous thing I've heard. LS do work well. They have for decades. The fact that you are now selling yours because you saw a TV show about 1/2 ton pickups is a real head scratcher. Open diffs will do exactly the same thing on rollers. If the vehicle had a properly working LS it would have been transferind torque to the other side. Wether that would still be enough is unclear, But they are not worthless. Mine works great. Much happier I have it instead of being open.

jeepnuts311 said:
lockright. no brainer install. i bought one new with no box from a friend, found instructions on the internet and installed it in 2 hours. works great. clicks a little

-Tim

Do you still habe that page? I'm looking to do mine soon and any help is welcome.

Since this is your wife's XJ you may want to stay away from the locker. They can be very interesting in slippery conditions. A limited slip is probably your best bet for a more friendly driving experience. Not an 'easy' install though.

Powerman said:
That is the most rediculous thing I've heard. LS do work well. They have for decades. The fact that you are now selling yours because you saw a TV show about 1/2 ton pickups is a real head scratcher. Open diffs will do exactly the same thing on rollers. If the vehicle had a properly working LS it would have been transferind torque to the other side. Wether that would still be enough is unclear, But they are not worthless. Mine works great. Much happier I have it instead of being open.

I don't doubt you like yours, and that they work well, I am just stating what I saw a brand new one doing in a test that resembles driving on ice which I have to do for 3 months of the year. I decided not to install it and go with a locker and gave my opinion as such.
I would think the LS was working properly, as it was brand new and the show would want a working LS if they are going to bad mouth it on national television. I don't mean to imply they are worthless, it just isn't what I am looking for and I described why, hopefully he understood it that way.
Either way he asked for input, I gave him mine. I also agree with the fact that since its his wifes DD he may prefer the LS as opposed to the locker since it would probably act alittle more predictably than a locker.

Fair enough. For what the OP wants, a LS will be the best option, IMHO. Just as you said about lockers, they are a bit more unpredictable. In a DD in snow and ice that is what I would do. It has been bad enough here that my wife takes the Jeep. I tell her to put it in 4X4 and that's it. I don't even bother going into the silver shifter on the floor. (OX) I have been very happy with mine in my DD. If this was going to stay a DD, I would put TTs front and rear and never worry about it again.

Back