• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tereflex SYE??

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to order Re 5.5" extreme duty kit along w/ a SYE and d/s kit...but the kit he sells is an HD SYE from Tereflex...i'm not too familiar and a search didnt turn up too much info...anyone have any ups or downs on this SYE? Thanks

I have the Extreme Short Shaft. It uses a harmonic sensor for the speedo and if you change gears and tire sizes, you need to buy another gadget that syncs for the correct speed. On the HD, it still uses the factory speedo gear. In hind sight, I would have done the HD instead!

I did the JB conversions HD kit. Price was right, kit went in really well and you can talk to the owner when you buy it. Very happy, and you can help a local buisness out from Lousiana... But that's my .02

I picked up a Teraflex SYE about 2 years ago, even though when I researched it I also ended up with just about no information on it! I don't have a whole lot to say about it simply because it's been working fine since the install and I'm no SYE expert.
A few things on the install that struck me as strange and possibly unique to the Tereflex (never installed another brand, just comparing with what I've seen online)... the rear output bearing did not come pre-installed in the tail cone. It required me to knock it into place and put a huge internal snap ring in place, and I didn't anticipate needing internal snap ring plires.
Another thing I found interesting is that some SYEs require you to remove the caged needle bearings in the main sprocket if you have an early model 231, and the teraflex requires you put them in if you have a late model. I can't say whether this is good or bad, but in all my web-surfing for SYE info, most how-to articles usually say to take 'em out. When I put 'em in I managed to tweak the cage on one bearing, and recently went though the effort of replacing it along with the front output seal/bearing... not that it really was causing any trouble. Kit looked like new after the past 2 years of running it.

Interesting. Sounds like an older kit actually. I'm surprised it requires the needle bearings. They were done away with and not needed. That allowed for an even thicker shaft to be used for more strength.

To OP, honestly, I would avoid it. Pick up a newer style SYE kit. I recommend the kits made by Advance Adapters and Performance Offroad Center

The Teraflex SYE I installed last fall did not require me to install the needle bearings. I ordered the SYE and drive shaft from Off Road Toy Store. When I order it it was supposed to be an Advanced Adapters SYE. After I order it they called me back and said they were out of the AA sye but could substitute the Teraflex. They said it was pretty much the same. No problems with mine.

The only issue with the AA or Tera kit is the price.The JB kit is the least expensive "American" made kit!

3pinr said:
The Teraflex SYE I installed last fall did not require me to install the needle bearings. I ordered the SYE and drive shaft from Off Road Toy Store. When I order it it was supposed to be an Advanced Adapters SYE. After I order it they called me back and said they were out of the AA sye but could substitute the Teraflex. They said it was pretty much the same. No problems with mine.
I guess this means the kit I got was an "older" kit? I did buy it 2 years ago so I guess they could have changed it. I understand it's a way to increase the shaft diamater, but if that shaft is to break it doesn't seem like it'd be at that point. Of course I guess it does mean the TC has 2 additional sets of bearings that "aren't needed".

As far as price is concerned I went with Teraflex because I found a good deal on it, but the current price for the JB kit is pretty close.

Re: Tereflex SYE?? vs AA

Went to order an SYE today from Tom Woods. Asked for the AA HD.
Was told they were out of AA but had the teraflex HD kits.

I'm not a tera fan. Any more experience with Tera kit.

Did anyone installing the tera kit recently in an older 231 have to remove the needle bearings?

For those who may have installed both, was there much difference in the kits or the install?

Back