• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny fluid leak.. need help identifying parts [pics]

dudemycar

NAXJA Forum User
auto. transmission has been leaking for awhile now, midas diagnosed the problem but they want to charge me $120 plus labor fees.. and i don't trust that any of those guys actually go to work sober
so i slid under and checked things out, the fluid is dripping pretty violently from these two places:
leak1.jpg

leak2.jpg

i need to know the names of these parts! i would have done a search but that's kind of impossible seeing as i don't really know what to search for. they are both on each end of the long rod thing [the driveshaft maybe?] that goes from the transmission to the rear diff.. the first part [silver cup-looking whatchamacallit] is the most important because it is leaking a whole lot worse than the other part..

thanks for your help.. me love you long time.

Call the front one transmission output seal. The rear one a pinion seal. Do both leak the same color fluid? The transmission should be running red automatic trans fluid and the rear axle has black or brown gear oil. If it is leaking as bad as you say the Trans fluid may be running down the driveshaft and dripping at the end.

Last edited:
i would try replaceing the front one first. the rear "leak" could just be fluid from the first blown back onto the rest of the drive train.

Back