• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 vs. 242 tail cone

1996cc

NAXJA Forum User
Will they interchange?? The rearmost section, not the part that has the speedo connection, just the very last part that is about the size of a pop can. I have a 231 cone that I'd like to modify for an SYE so that I can just swap it out with my 242 without any downtime.

All the numbers on them match exactly except one single number that is separate from the rest, and they look identical. Just want to know if anyone is 100% certain.

Just measure the distance between bolt holes centres on both and then you should know if they are the same or not.

No they do not interchange.

no they dont I checked

I have seen someone modify two tailcones to make one that had the sealed housing from a 96+ tcase to an old one.

I tried to use the tail cone off of my 89 XJ (242) to replace the tail cone on my 89 MJ (231), and the inside diameter was smaller on the 242 and I couldn't use it. FWIW.

Just a bit more info: My 242 is in a 1990 XJ. The 231 tailcone is off a late 80's YJ. I got my corvette yoke from Tom Woods through UPS today. The yoke slids into the 231 cone just perfectly, so the shaft diameter is right. The bolt holes are roughly 3 1/4" apart (hard to measure on a curved surface, and I don't have calipers) and the 242 is the same from what I can tell.

They should be the same, but I'm going to pull mine off just to be sure. Then I'll be really motivated to get it done, since it won't be driveable!!

Back