• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what would you do? new XJ build

woodkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
So i bought a 99XJ Sport 2dr. 5spd 4.0L with all the goodies a few weeks ago and i sold the trail rig XJ i had because i can't stand not building this jeep! anyway im trying to decide what to do and need some advise:

here is what i need from the XJ: be able to drive to work every day, approx. 10-15miles and occasonal trips home 100miles and weekend wheelin' trips. as for off road
im a weekend warrior and wheel pretty hard at least one good trip a month to places like tellico, uwharrie, etc..

current setup:
UpCountry with full skids and hooks - 5 brand new 31" BFG ATs on stock Eccos
(bought the jeep this way)

Option 1:
RE 3.5" 6030 add adj. trac-bar, front brake lines and keep 31s - lockers ft./rr ,front bumper/winch combo, rails, etc...wheel on 31s possibly rear bumper.

Option 2:
RE 4.5" 6130, add hd tracbar, buy new 33s and wheels, 4.56 gears, lockers ft./rr, rails, ft. bumper only(no winch), etc..

I CANNOT DECIDE what to do!!! should i get all the goodies and stay 31s or sacrafice parts and go bigger? i hate to get rid of brand new tires i have but 33s would be nice too!! how do you think i can go on 31s locked ft/rr?

91 Jeep Project said:
Sell it, buy mine, and go wheel. There, I did it, I'm a miracle worker.

Ooooooohhhhhhhh......DJ's has actually made my A list. Don't know if he knows that cuz I didn't want it to go to his head. I think there are only 5 on my picky list thus far.

I'd definitely go 4.5" lift.

You could run the 31s with this in order to pay for some of the other stuff. Re-gear & lockers, front winch bumper etc.

I know a couple of people running 4.56 and 31s, I don't think it's a bad way to go until 33s and new wheels are affordable.

it seems that the 4.5 is the way to go. im most likely going to go that route.
the only thing about the 4.5 is the LCAs are at a pretty steep angle and how's the ride? im planning on the monotubes

91 Jeep Project said:
Sell it, buy mine, and go wheel. There, I did it, I'm a miracle worker.

i have tried and tried to find a picture of your XJ. can you post up an updated pic? i really like the way your XJ is setup.

Sure thing. Looks the same as here, except the rock rails are on and the end caps are color matched. Guess thats not really "updated", but I haven't taken any recently.

NewLift.jpg

91 Jeep Project said:
Sure thing. Looks the same as here, except the rock rails are on and the end caps are color matched. Guess thats not really "updated", but I haven't taken any recently.

NewLift.jpg

sweet! thanks for the pic. what are the life specs on the jeep? looks like RE 3.5" with ACOS and shackles...maybe?? with Dropbrackets/braces?

How long to you think 31's would last anyway... I know you... Just trade w/ jon for his Trxus and Moabs....

Just get something quick so we can do a shakedown run the last weekend of January.....

91 Jeep Project said:
7.5" Lift, RE 4.5" on ACOS, BOR 4" Alcans with JKS boomer. DB's and Braces with RE SF Adjustables.

very nice!

i noticed you still have the stock bumper caps - do not have rubbing issues? what type of bumpstop set up are you running?

Last edited:
woodkrawler said:
very nice!

i noticed you still have the stock bumper caps - do not have rubbing issues? what type of bumpstop set up are you running?

Only rubs at full stuff, and thats because the bumpstops need a bit more. I have JKS Adjustables up front. The rear doesn't flex well enough yet to need them. But at that time I'll get the DPG plates. Most people run 35s and 37s at my lift height. So I don't run into many clearance issues with 33s.

Back