• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear no-slip in 5spd XJ daily driver?

woodkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
i recently bought a 99 sport 2dr 5spd XJ that im getting ready to build for a daily driver/ weekend warrior. the auto has a torque converter that can help with driving on the road with a locker like a noslip, detroit, etc.. my question how harsh is the 5spd going to be driving daily with the full locker in the rear? i know it will be noticable but how much?? this is the first 5spd build project i have done. thanks

Depends on the smoothness of your driving. I drive Detroits front & rear w/ a 5speed. No problems. If your not smooth, the locker will definately let you know a lot more with a stick than an auto.

Rob $.02

Like felix said it will depend on. you will have to remember its there or it can bite you in the ass reall fast in a low traction situation (ie ice snow sand on pavement etc)

I drove mine nearly 100 miles a day for quite a while with aussies f/r and the AX15 on 33s. It's a little strange at first but you quickly adapt to it and learn how to avoid any funny stuff.

I put 500 miles on the truck this past weekend, full detroit AX-15.
Highway driving it's not noticeable.
Around town, you just have to learn to accelerate or push the clutch in when going around turns. If you don't lock it up with throttle you have to have the clutch pushed in, or the locker gets angry and pounds the drivetrain.

87manche said:
I put 500 miles on the truck this past weekend, full detroit AX-15.
Highway driving it's not noticeable.
Around town, you just have to learn to accelerate or push the clutch in when going around turns. If you don't lock it up with throttle you have to have the clutch pushed in, or the locker gets angry and pounds the drivetrain.

Yep use the clutch to soften things up while making tight turns. Gearing up a gear higher to lug it down a little with low throttle input into turns helps to smooth things out as well.

Rob $.02

sounds good. i was just curious. i remember a friend back in college had a 5spd YJ with a welded rear diff and absolutely hated it. but again that was welded with no give at all. at least an autolocker will release.

I think a welded rear would be more predictable, but the auto locker works like it should 95% of the time.
That 5% is kinda scary though. When I first had the detroit I drove through a corner with my foot lightly on the gas, just to maintain speed. The Detroit ratcheted hard under power, so much so that it felt like I was going to rip the motor mounts out.
It's also tried to change the direction I was driving all on it's own. Last month I was driving straight, doing 35 MPH on a city street, I heard a "POP" and then the truck darted to the side. No rhyme, no reason, other than the rearend decided to ratchet, that's happened a handful of times.

It's certainly something unique to drive, but once you get used to it it's alright, and the traction gains off road are freaking amazing.
I would certainly NOT let anyone borrow the truck without telling them what's in the rear end and giving them a run down of how to drive with it.

First a question..... What rear do you have?

If you have a D35 dont waste your money. Believe me I know from experiance! Save that money to build a D44.

The 8.25 if fine to build, but then again your limited to 4.56 gearing.

To answer your question the locker is fine to drive with. It just takes a little change in habbit.

You may want to consider a detroit. The no-slip is strong but you rely on the strength of your stock carrier. For just a few dollars more take the detroit into consideration. I loved mine!

jerseyjeep01 said:
First a question..... What rear do you have?

If you have a D35 dont waste your money. Believe me I know from experiance! Save that money to build a D44.

The 8.25 if fine to build, but then again your limited to 4.56 gearing.

To answer your question the locker is fine to drive with. It just takes a little change in habbit.

You may want to consider a detroit. The no-slip is strong but you rely on the strength of your stock carrier. For just a few dollars more take the detroit into consideration. I loved mine!

If you search you'll see that Woodkrawler's been around awhile.. We're pretty much done w/ Detroits (try to talk to them or warranty one!). And he's running a 29spline 8.25.

He's wanting to know about people running the AX-15 and a rear locker... I think it will be fine for the and type of driving we do around here (highway mostly)..
Chris

Back