• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing question.

klennop

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting an 01 Limited with the towing package. It has the Dana 35 with ABS, and everyone says how weak this rear end is. So I guess what I am wondering is if this is such a weak rear end why would they put that in a jeep with a towing package that is supposed to be able to tow 5000lbs?

the dana 35 has a bad rap and is weak but if recpected it will hold up i have one in my grand behinde a v8 93k no problems i have also had one in a xj with problems it bent the housing on a wheeling trip. so if you stay on the road or the mellower side of wheeling you will be fine. but if you are hard core upgrade

the 35 is not a bad rear its just notmade for the heavy abuse some guys seem to put them through. Its funny but everyone I know who has broken a 35 is a rock nut anyone who just enjoys trails and some mud here and there has no problems. I personally have a 44 because i beat the snot out of my rig and being its got a manual trans and 31's i figured it was not a bad idea but my 27 spline 8.25 never flinched at what I threw at t and people on here say they are weak too.

It took me 4 years to pop an axle on my 35 that's with tons of heavy towing and a lot of light duty offing. Then it was my son going nuk on the Cherokee pulling someone out of a ditch. Stick with the 35

But ABS on a 35 are you sure it's a 35?

======================
A good bud is hard to find.
Even harder to lose.
WORK SAFE

klennop said:
I am getting an 01 Limited with the towing package. It has the Dana 35 with ABS, and everyone says how weak this rear end is. So I guess what I am wondering is if this is such a weak rear end why would they put that in a jeep with a towing package that is supposed to be able to tow 5000lbs?

You'll be fine. I regularly tow a 4000-4500lb. load with my 2000 Limited with the same configuration you've got and the axle's not an issue. As long as you've got a tranny cooler and braked trailer, you'll won't have any problems.

badron said:
But ABS on a 35 are you sure it's a 35?

All XJs with ABS had the D35. Hell, mine has ABS and limited-slip...

Back