• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

some kind of short???

12 Volt Man

NAXJA Member # 1383
My 2000 XJ has done this to me twice now. Can't figure out what the problem is. You go to start it, won't even try to crank, lights dim, power from the battery seems to fade. Then I get a jump. It will run with my foot in the throttle. If I take my foot off it dies. I can drive it, but I need to be on the throttle. As soon as I am off the gas, it dies quick.

First time it happened I went and had the battery and alternator tested. They were fine. Then it has been two months without a problem. Tonite, it did it again. Could never get it to run without being on the gas again.

First make shure your battery posts are clean. They may even look clean, but infact have a build up between them. Then check the main grounds to the body, and the engine block. Check the grounds on the CPU as well. When you run the battery dead, or get two low of a voltage to the CPU it will get funkey, and have to relearn the idle RPM. For some reason this dosn't usully happen when you just disconect the battery just with a low voltage condition. When it does do this you will have to hold your foot on the gas a bit for a minute 'till it relearns what it's supposed to be. You might even want to check the TPS connector too. I had the same CPU dumness symtoms when I replaced one on a ZJ 5.2 once.

One thing you might check is whether there's an unknown power drain that is actually killing your battery. If it starts with a jump it sounds as if the battery is going dead. The running problem after a boost may be from the voltage being too high rather than too low. The Chrysler FI system is notorious for working badly with a bad battery, and it may take some time after a jump from dead before it works right. When a dead battery is run after a boost, it doesn't take a charge well, and the whole system is trying to run on the alternator, whose voltage is too high and spiky for the computer to handle well.

It would be handy if you had a voltmeter on hand so that next time this happens you can test the battery at the posts and see if it is really dead, or some connection problem further down the line.

XgeekstarX said:
please search

sounds like a sticky IAC
Please keep searching instead of asking for help.
If it sounds like anything I've ever heard of, you should keep searching.

What is it with searching with you people? Are you here to help people or harass them?
I'm a retired professional mechanic, not a beginner. I just bought a Cherokee and am here trying to learn. I can tell there are others trying to learn too. It's just as easy to type "10-30" when asked about oil , as it is to type "Search more, we've already talked about it".
I attend a few other forums in which I'm the expert instead of the FNG and this business of humiliating newcomers with refusals to answer because it was talked about before, is uncalled for.
Granted: I'm a new guy. It's your forum. Can't you be nicer to those with less experience? I have 27 years professional experience and I'm impressed with the expertise available here, but can't you be nicer? It might even lead to your learning that bad battery terminals can cause an "IAC problem".

Last edited:
Jim Mesthene said:
Please keep searching instead of asking for help.
If it sounds like anything I've ever heard of, you should keep searching.

What is it with searching with you people? Are you here to help people or harass them?
I'm a retired professional mechanic, not a beginner. I just bought a Cherokee and am here trying to learn. I can tell there are others trying to learn too. It's just as easy to type "10-30" when asked about oil , as it is to type "Search more, we've already talked about it".
I attend a few other forums in which I'm the expert instead of the FNG and this business of humiliating newcomers with refusals to answer because it was talked about before, is uncalled for.
Granted: I'm a new guy. It's your forum. Can't you be nicer to those with less experience? I have 27 years professional experience and I'm impressed with the expertise available here, but can't you be nicer? It might even lead to your learning that bad battery terminals can cause an "IAC problem".

I'm not so sure it's done out of harassment or general meanness. I think some people suggest a search to instill good search habits. I know when I first started, being new to forums, I had no clue about searching until I realized it's probably best if I exhausted my efforts on a search before I sought advice .

Sometimes a person will suggest a search when they know a more detailed and well articulated answer is out there somewhere in the archives. I know I do that sometimes. Most of the time I'll try to find the thread for them.

Yes, it's true that a quick answer for someone would be nice sometimes and it doesn't hurt to type off a fix. But I guess people get tired of typing out the same old responses to rehashed questions. I'm not making excuses for them. I'm just guessing what their logic may be.

I know for a fact that there are those here that have given answers to retread questions over and over again. Many should be grateful for that. They really put that keyboard to use in helping others. I think sometimes lazy people take advantage of their knowledge and willingness to help.

For the most part, the wise ones on this forum are extremely nice in guiding learners like me. And as I gain experience I try to spread that kindness.

I agree with both of the above posts. Sometimes even when you do search you don't find what your looking for, or get a bunch of junk. I had a case just a few weeks ago where I was looking for some info from a spacific thread, but had a time finding it. However (was not the case here) it does show lazynes when the answer is only a page or two deep, or was just talked about a week or so ago. In those cases I usually say "search", or just not even reply (the best action).

I did search and normally find what I am looking for. Sometimes you feel better to personally explain your problem.

I hate it too when everyone says "search" especially when it comes from paying non-members. For the most part everyone on this forum is helpful, but people get afraid to ask for help when all they see is "try the search button".

Yes it does suck to see the same questions over and over again. But I believe helping out would be a better stance to take rather than just say "search".

Oh and even though I use the handle of 12 Volt Man ( a Jimmy Buffett song ) I am a complete retard when it comes to electrical stuff. That is pretty funny though.

Back