• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Transfercase Options

MISFIT

NAXJA Forum User
i have a dana 300 behind the AW4 in my manche, but even if i install a 4:1 kit in it, it still won't be enough for 42's. i need lower gearing. i hear the AW4 is the same tranny in automatic toyota mini trucks??? if so, is there any way i can slap in some yota dual cases??? is there any other route to take besides a stack box or atlas??? i've searched but, so far, came up empty. thanks.

I'm sure its not what you meant....but a V8 would sure lessen the need for gearing.

Short of that....how about some specs on the rig...motor(4.0 I assume), axles, gears, intended use...probably rocks or mud with those meats?

JohnX said:
I'm sure its not what you meant....but a V8 would sure lessen the need for gearing.

Short of that....how about some specs on the rig...motor(4.0 I assume), axles, gears, intended use...probably rocks or mud with those meats?

no engine swaps, i don't want THAT much down-time for my rig.

it's a '90 MJ. stock 4.0, AW4, Dana 300, GM 44 front, GM 12 bolt rear, 5.38s, 37's blah blah blah.

i like the 4.0 and the auto so i'd like to keep them. i will be using a dana 60 front, and most likely a 14bFF rear and 5.13's/5.38's in them as well. right now, the dana 300, aw4, and 5.38's really don't like pushing the 37's so i'm thinking i'll really need a new t-case or somthing for 42s :D. this will be a strictly rock-driven rig. no mud or water inless i have to cross fordyce or somthing :D

I think a 4:1 and low diff gears would be pretty good for 42s, that's considerably lower than my 35s, stock t-case, and 4.88s which I like just fine:

2.8*2.72*4.88/35= 1.06
2.8*4*5.38/42= 1.43

If you really must have it lower you have 3 real options, and of course the cheaper it is the harder it is. (1) Stak or Atlas, (2) np231 or 203 doubler or (3) Toyota conversion and dual t-cases

Here is a good thread to read to get you started on researching the Toyota option: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23644

thanks for the link.

so all i need is the yota tailhousing and output shafts??? hmmmm. i might not need to go to the extreme and put duals in there, but just a yota case and 4.7's ought to be enough. plus ALOT cheaper than an atlas or stak. that's just great. has anyone done this yet???

you will have to tear down the whole AW4 to swap the output.

how much do you anticipate the output, tailhousing, t-case and gears costing? and you only change the crawl ratio from 60:1 to 70:1 versus doing a 4:1.... the DD Machine Box4rox np231 doubler is cheaper than all that and gets you either 40:1 or 107:1.

I really think 60:1 will be fine with 42s....

BrettM said:
you will have to tear down the whole AW4 to swap the output.

how much do you anticipate the output, tailhousing, t-case and gears costing? and you only change the crawl ratio from 60:1 to 70:1 versus doing a 4:1.... the DD Machine Box4rox np231 doubler is cheaper than all that and gets you either 40:1 or 107:1.

I really think 60:1 will be fine with 42s....

ok, isee what you're saying. but it would just be cool to have dual yota cases :D. i guess a 4:1 kit and maybe 5.89's will just have to do. thanks.

Back