• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building Front Bumper ?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to build a front bumper soon with a winch mount. This woud be my first front bumper build with a winch mount. I have a few questions on what thickness should the brackets be that attach to the unibody and what thickness should the winch mount plate be. The bumper will also have shackels as well. Any pictures, suggestions that would steer me in the right direction.

Thank You !

here is a link to mine http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=902475 hopefully it will help...im going to be adding a winch within the next year or two but i built the bumper with out a winch tray for now, but the rest should hold up to a winch when time comes...
bracket thickness and mounting locations are the two biggest conserns, mine is 8 on driver side and 9 on passanger when it comes time for a winch i might reinforce the cross member, my brackets are 1/4" thick if possible you might want to go thicker, instead of building the winch tray you may find it easier to buy a tray, im going to get one and set it inside of my curent bumper

hopefully this will set you in the right direction

my buddy used 1/4" flat stock for the mounts on the frame, then used 1/4 square inbetween the two mounts and 3/8" on top of the sqare for the winch to sit on. then he took the frame mount out past the bumper and sandwiched two other pieces of 1/4" and drilled two 7/8" holes for the clevis mounts. we really beat the crap out of the winch and the bumper and it has with stood everything we gave it, including saving a full size cj from rolling down a drop off. just look at what you have and play around with making it as strong as possible. there are a million ways to do it, and maybe you will find something that works out better for you.
i will try to get some pics of it the next time i see him

From warn

Warnwinchplate.jpg

Back