• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolant smell inside

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Just changed my rad a month ago for the second time due to a faulty part 7 months ago, I have no leaks to speak of and the temp is and has always been perfect but I have the smell of coolant inside when I get in. Figure its just the residual from the two changes or what? Thanks in advance.

Very possible its residual. Keep a eye on your carpet around the heater area.

Thats for sure. Same thing happens to every vehicle I change a radiator in, within months the heater core goes south.
Cheap enough, but what a PITA to change on most vehicles.

I had the same problem in my 97 and it was the heater core. I had to run the defogger to keep the windows from fogging up on humid days. It took a long time for just one little drop of coolant to show up clinging to the passenger side heater duct. I didn't let it get bad enough to cause a real problem. I posted some tips here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69583

It took a couple of weeks for the smell to stop even after scrubbing out the heater core housing. The A/C still works great even though I didn't put a vacuum on it.

-Jim C

Back