• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed cruise on my 99 XJ, but not working

jeepinwi

NAXJA Forum User
I installed all the parts for cruise control on my XJ, but nothing works. Does anything light up when the cruise control is turned on or set? Just to make sure I did everything, here's what I did:
-installed clockspring and new steering wheel with switches from a 2000 XJ
-installed servo from 2001 XJ, connected vacuum tube, electrical connection and throttle cable.

That is all the parts I need, right?...clockspring, steering wheel switches, and servo. My horn still works and I don't have an airbag light, so I'm guessing the clockspring is working. What should be the first thing I look at? Thanks.

My 97 has a green indicator on the cluster that reads "cruise" and the on/off button toggles it.

Cruise control works. I guess it helps to attach the cable from the servo to the throttle body.:looser: I see where the cruise light appears to be on the cluster, but it does not iluminate when the cruise is set. Not a big deal, but I think it should work.

I would guess that since your XJ didn't come with cruise, they never installed a little light bulb in that part of the cluster.

flht1997 said:
does she require its own fuse? my 99 has the little green light on the dash when i hit "on" but nothing else comes on when you hit "set"
From what I know, there's nothing to tell you there's a speed set in the memory to use the resume function.

flht1997 said:
does she require its own fuse? my 99 has the little green light on the dash when i hit "on" but nothing else comes on when you hit "set"

I did a 99.
Everything you need is there once you plugin the major components.
I installed the switches, clockspring and servo. The light comes on, nothing else is needed.

The cruise control worked perfectly on my 3000 mile road trip. I'm not sure why the "cruise" light doesn't work, but I'm happy even without that light.

You seem to have an indication and not a function problem.
97+ XJs have a bit of a problem with the panel lights.
I used to have intermittent air bag and other lights being on or off when they were not supposed to be. I removed the panel cleaned and lubed the connectors, problem solved.
I am not saying that's your problem, if you ever have to remove the panel, pay attention to the plugs.

My SE model XJ came with the basic cluster with the huge gas guage and dummy lights. I immediately replaced the guage cluster with the more common cluster with a tach and actual guages. I'll have to spend a couple hours tearing the dash apart to lube things up a bit. Thanks Falcon.

jeepinwi said:
That is all the parts I need, right?...clockspring, steering wheel switches, and servo. My horn still works and I don't have an airbag light, so I'm guessing the clockspring is working. What should be the first thing I look at? Thanks.

I was thinking of installing cruise in my "99" but wasn't sure what components I would need to acquire. They have a nice one at the boneyard here close to me. The 2 button controls for the steering wheel,..servo,......whats a clockspring?

I'd be interested in installing cruise in my '99 as well. Can somebody provide a parts list? Is there any source for the parts aside from a junkyard?

Bzamora said:
I'd be interested in installing cruise in my '99 as well. Can somebody provide a parts list? Is there any source for the parts aside from a junkyard?

You need the switches for the steering wheel, (99 and up ONLY, 97 or 98 will not work), clockspring, servo. All plug and play except that you need to pull the steering wheel to replace the clockspring.
Clockspring is the unit that has the wiring for airbag, cruise, horn.

Bzamora said:
I looked and the only other option I could find is ebay for the kits,..$300+ is more than I am willing to invest though. Thanks Falcon556 for the heads up. The one in the boneyard near me is a 98. Glad I didn't try to salvage the components from there. The ebay reference is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-Jeep-Cherokee-xj-Cruise-control-Speed-Kit-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33595QQihZ001QQitemZ110093509540QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Odarby said:
I looked and the only other option I could find is ebay for the kits,..$300+ is more than I am willing to invest though. Thanks Falcon556 for the heads up. The one in the boneyard near me is a 98. Glad I didn't try to salvage the components from there.

All the components except the switches are identical. The system works on resistive multiplexing. The switches have different resistance values in 97-98 even though they look the same. The most difficult item to get is the clockspring, the rest are a dime a dozen, it cost me less than fifty for the whole thing but I was lucky to get the clockspring on an other deal.

Back