• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWC Jack Pass Snow Run; December 30th, 2006

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know part of this was posted in another thread, but here's the full version, with name and dates in the title for easy search location in the future.

Jack Pass Snow Run; December 30th, 2006

Another great snow run, people. Thanks for putting it together Michael, and I agree that we should start a little earlier next time. It would have been fun to have been able to push on a little further and see where that road went eventually.

Frankly I'm amazed that we were able to go as far as we did in the time we had; that was a HUGE group with wildly different equipment levels to have on a snow run. There was everything from a bone stock ZJ Limited to a Land Rover Discovery Series I to a YJ running Dana 60s, 5.38s and 38" bias-ply Swampers, and every conceivable flavor of XJ in between. How's that for diversity?

My day started out meeting GI-John, Adam (adamusmc2002) and Jay (jay2000XJ) in Federal way and heading North.

DSCF3511.jpg

We made our way carefully, taking our time as much as possible due to the overwhelming police presence on I-5. I think I counted 10 cruisers between Renton and Monroe. Bad news for us considering the dubious legality of most of our rigs. Anyway, we made it to the Dutch Cup and met part of the group there about 0940. After introductions were made there, and notes were compared about how terrible the DC really is, we headed out to meet Michael and the rest of the group.

100_0385.jpg

At the trailhead we all aired down and waited for the last parts of the group to filter in. You can see the group through my windshield, which Lonnie thought made an artsy picture:

DSCF3521.jpg

Around 1100 hrs the group finally got on it's way; with such a large collection of Jeeps, it made coordinating hard, but as usual, Michael did a great job of making sure vehicles were lined up in a sensible order and organized.

Very early we made a wrong turn (my fault, as I was leading and nobody had a clear recollection of the route we took last year) and started up the mountain side much sooner than last year. Rather than the gradual slow climb of the run last year, this was very quickly a steep grade. In the lead this made things a little tough, but my new tires were absolutely amazing. There were a few times when I couldn't believe I was still moving, albeit slowly, but I never got bogged down.

The vehicle tracks we were following on the road quickly gave way to sno-mobile tracks. Still we pushed on, my confidence in the Trxus's growing by the foot. Cody (GreenbeltXJ) on the trail:

DSCF3541.jpg

The alternate route's steeper ascent meant two things; one the views from the trail were amazing, and two, the snow got deep, fast.

100_0409.jpg

Here's the group climbing up through a clear-cut:

DSCF3525.jpg

It took a little while to remember how to drive in the snow. At first I was leaving it in 3rd gear and low range and just spinning my way up the hills. This works with the Trxus's because they grab and bite so well, but the axle tramp was starting to worry me. Then I had a revelation: No wheel spin is better than lots.

100_0420.jpg

It was a lesson I learned on our snow runs last season, which I seem to have forgotten. As the tires would lose traction, backing off the throttle momentarily allowed them to hook back up and climb on top of the snow. Even if I was in 1st gear barely crawling, those tires seemed to be fine just creeping along.

The first stuck of the day, Cody dug himself a hole. A little shoveling and a few people pushing and we were back on our way:

CIMG0064.jpg

There was one instance where throttle was needed: There was one time where my nose got pointed toward a ditch, and by the time I slowed down and stopped, the tires had made a trough. I tried backing out of it and trying another line, but I kept sliding into the ditch. 3rd gear and about 4000 rpm made short work of the obstacle:

100_0426.jpg

We were blessed with incredible weather which allowed us all to appreciate the beauty of the area:

CIMG0054.jpg

The back half of the group, probably waiting for me to hurry up:

CIMG0028.jpg

We stopped for lunch and sledding about 1:00 and let the kids stretch their legs and the adults throw snow balls. Our resident icicle slasher, XJLaredo:

100_3273.jpg

Things were going great. Then, with no warning, the snow turned to crap and I sunk. Ryan (blkxjkrawler) tried to pull me out. He got stuck. Cody (GreenbeltXJ) tried to reach us. He got stuck. GI-John tried to pull Cody...he got stuck. See a pattern?

By this time it was getting late and the sun was receding behind the hills reminding us that the daylight disappears at 5:00 this time of year. The decision was made to turn around and make our way out. After getting all of us unstuck and turned around, one minor mechanical glitch fixed, we headed out.

Here's the group extracting me:

CIMG0051.jpg

Here's the final group shot showing just haw large an undertaking it was: 17 vehicles.

groupshot.jpg

Anyway, great trip folks! Can't wait for the next one!

-----Matt-----

Sounds like you guy had a blast, but what else do you expect from Jacks Pass and snow.

I was trying to figure out your location in the pics. Which LEFT did you take?? The one at the beginning or the one after the bridge?

XJourney said:
Sounds like you guy had a blast, but what else do you expect from Jacks Pass and snow.

I was trying to figure out your location in the pics. Which LEFT did you take?? The one at the beginning or the one after the bridge?

We took the one at the begining. Last time we took the one after the bridge. The grade was much steeper and it got us into reasonable snow quickly but still not really possitive which way would go through or if they both do.

I wanted to stop by the ranger station and get a more detailed map, mine does not have enough detail to see which FS road goes where.

One of these days we are going to make it all the way over!!

Michael

2xtreme said:
We took the one at the begining. Last time we took the one after the bridge. The grade was much steeper and it got us into reasonable snow quickly but still not really possitive which way would go through or if they both do.

Michael

If you are refering to this run
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77547&highlight=jack's+pass

IIRC We actually took the right after the bridge. We tried to go left but after a few rigs failed. We decided to go right. Which to the best I can tell is the way to Jacks Pass. I think ;)

5df0aa7c.jpg

That is how this picture came about. ;)

Either way it looked beautiful, When I got up Sat and saw all the sunshine I was so jealous.

XJourney said:
IIRC We actually took the right after the bridge. We tried to go left but after a few rigs failed. We decided to go right. Which to the best I can tell is the way to Jacks Pass. I think ;)
QUOTE]

That is the run I was refering to. And I do remember that turn around. However, that was a different "left". I believe this trip we took a "left" much earlier from the main road. Last time I believe we took a left from the main road, then made a right at the Y (where that photo was taken).

I am thinking next time, we run it from Index to Skykomish and take the lower road instead of the upper road, and see where we come out? The less interesting way is to stop at the ranger station and get a map. If they are open next time I am out that way I will be doing that;)

We missed you (and the rest of the fam) on this run, but I think we set a record for the number of women and children on this last run?

Michael

Michael, the NWC has the DeLorme TopoUSA map software at it's disposal. ;) I'll print up a detailed map of that area for you to take. I'm thinking that each 8.5x11 sheet could go into a plastic sleeve for a binder. Hmmm...

:)

2xtreme said:
That is the run I was referring to. And I do remember that turn around. However, that was a different "left". I believe this trip we took a "left" much earlier from the main road. Last time I believe we took a left from the main road, then made a right at the Y (where that photo was taken).

Oh maybe I guess we should go map the area sometime in the future. I just remember the little race track that we had going. That was a blast.

Remember: "we seek not the destination, but the journey" Which is so true for snowruns.

2xtreme said:
I am thinking next time, we run it from Index to Skykomish and take the lower road instead of the upper road, and see where we come out? The less interesting way is to stop at the ranger station and get a map. If they are open next time I am out that way I will be doing that;)

I like the idea of Index to Skykomish via Jack Pass Or we could use a map, but that is kinda like cheating.

2xtreme said:
We missed you (and the rest of the fam) on this run, but I think we set a record for the number of women and children on this last run?

We missed you guys too:kissyou: I am glad to here that there was a big turnout of women and children. My wife and your wife appreciate it. I wonder if that had anything to do with the recent article in the newsletter?

Sorry we couldn't make it. But one month old is alittle young to be out on the trail or so my wife says. Plus I am having jeep issues, I think it is trying to revolt against me.

XJourney said:
But one month old is alittle young to be out on the trail or so my wife says.
SPOBI! :D

We missed ya, Hans! Oh, and I take full responsibility for taking the "wrong" turn; by the time I realized it (quickly), there were already a half-dozen rigs that had turned onto the road. I share your sentiments about getting there being half the fun and said to hell with it. I think it turned out fine, probably more challenging, but we all had fun nonetheless.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Hello? Neck brace?

-----Matt-----

Maybe I can build her a Halo. :scared: Maybe Poison Spider Customs can fab up some cool brackets

XJourney said:
Maybe I can build her a Halo. :scared: Maybe Poison Spider Customs can fab up some cool brackets

You have already proved that the stuff you build is twice as nice as anything else anyone else can build!!!

Michael

2xtreme said:
You have already proved that the stuff you build is twice as nice as anything else anyone else can build!!!

Michael

Thanks for the compliment. But I don't have the skills to back up that statement. Anyone can build what I build you just have to take your time.

Use rubber bungee`s:laugh3: ,They might cause alittle indentation in the forehead,but you can worry about explaining that later:laugh3:

XJourney said:
Thanks for the compliment.
Your Welcome.

XJourney said:
Anyone can build what I build you just have to take your time.
Don't kid yourself, you know better than that!!

hards91xj said:
Use rubber bungee`s ,They might cause alittle indentation in the forehead,but you can worry about explaining that later
Great idea Howard, Can't believe I never thought about that when my kids were younger:gee:

Michael

Back