• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood clearance problem

Adam96

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting on a K&N FIPK that I just got. ( I know... don't flame me, I know the filter sucks and I'm getting a different one for it, I just like the intake tube.) I also have a Poweraid throttle body spacer on it. Anybody else ever done both of these on the same Jeep? What did you do for hood clearance as the intake will not allow the hood to close? I've trimmed the underhood heat shield but it only gave about 1/4 inch more clearance. Any suggestions?

Adam96 said:
I'm putting on a K&N FIPK that I just got. ( I know... don't flame me, I know the filter sucks and I'm getting a different one for it, I just like the intake tube.) I also have a Poweraid throttle body spacer on it. Anybody else ever done both of these on the same Jeep? What did you do for hood clearance as the intake will not allow the hood to close? I've trimmed the underhood heat shield but it only gave about 1/4 inch more clearance. Any suggestions?
I had the same problem when I put the K&N FIPK and TB spacer on 4 years ago. I used a torch, heated the area around the TB connection point until I could push it in and then angled it to the angle of the hood. I had to hold it in place for awhile because the plastic seems to have a memory. Then I trimmed the TB connection as low as I could so that I could still get the silicone adapter on. It still rubbed a smidgen, but not enough to worry about. Just had to use that grey material between the ears, that's all.

I had a similair problem after I installed my FIPK and my Daystar motor mounts. The top of the intake would rub the bottom of the hood. You can trim some on the bottom part of the intake where in attaches to the TB, and the connection piece (the hose looking piece that attaches the intake to the TB) can be trimmed down a little too. I also still had a little rubbing when sitting idle at lights and stuff, so I took about a 2"X2" square piece of rubber (like from an inner tube) and used silicon to glue it to the bottom of the hood where the intake was rubbing. I still don't think that there is anymore than about an 1/8" of clearance between my hood and the intake, but it works and I'm not gonna have a hole rubbed my intake anytime soon. Would like the new cowl hood, but being a college kid with little $$$ prevents most new parts.

You can trim that bottom peice, but it sure doesn't leave much to hold onto when you trim it enough to clear the hood. I did that and it just pissed me off because every time I'd open my hood, the intake would have fallen off. The problem is that there is no ridge to clamp anything onto, it's smooth and it'll just fall off. I ended up doing this to it....
standard

Defeats the purpose of the expensive thing, but oh well.....now I run a donaldson cannister filter. Anyone need my old K&N?

Back