• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems with clutch on 90 XJ need help

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
As of late the clutch has been acting up on my XJ, the trans is the AX-15 w/the internal slave cylinder. When the Jeep has been sitting awhile the clutch will work fine but after you drive it for a bit I lose the clutch a little bit with each shift until gone entirely, it's as if the pedal isn't hooked up, then after several hours of sitting it's normal again. There are no leaks but a trace of brake fluid where the shaft goes into the MC on the inside

I bled out the clutch system several times and the best I've been able to get from it is almost 'normal pressure' on the clutch about half way down BUT the first half of the swing still feels as if the pedal isn't connected. After I did the flush I can't get into gear. I think this might be due to disolved oxygen in the clutch fluid IE: little bubbles of air? Seemed to have gone away last time after sitting for a day after I changed the pressure line. As I bled out the clutch system there was a constant stream of fluid coming out when the pedal was pumped at the bleeder and a constant drip when I was off the pedal so I doubt any air got in, however the fluid got BLACK real fast.

The MC was replaced 6 months ago and the pressure line was replaced last month. The clutch disc, pressure plate &slave cylinder are about 2 years old but they only have 20K miles on them, the previous ones were 14 years old and lasted 180K miles.

Can somebody here please help me out with this? I remember reading a similar post several days ago but no helpful info.
Thanks

I've come to the conclusion that the heat from the exhaust is messing things up. Has anybodye else here ever had or noticed this problem? Has anybody implemented a heat shield for the pressure line?

are you bleeding the clutch using the pedal?
I attempted that for two days when I replaced my master and line. It never worked right.
Find someone with a vacuum pump and vacuum bleed it. it's the only way to get it all out of there.
I rigged my electric pump to a mason jar and sucked a 32oz bottle of fluid through it. It's been fine for a year.
I did place a heatshield around the line, but that's only because the heat from the exhaust is what rotted out the original, then me pushing the clutch down with a dry master ended up killing the master.
Heatshiled is just a piece of random sheetmetal I had laying about, and I think I wire tied it to an existing mount fro something. Totally ghettofab.

Back