• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

limited slip / locker ina 2000

guzzirider

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put a limited slip or locker in the 2000 my wife drives. Any suggestions and approximate cost? I don't want an ARD. It needs to be fully automatic Still shoveling in CO.

i just put a lock rite in my 2000, its definately a different driving experience. I would recommend doing some research before putting one in, or from what ive read, really cautioning her before you let her loose. I have noticed in slippery conditions a locked rear end will slide sideways, whereas before i just sat and spun. This i could see being pretty tricky in snowy conditions. Cost wise, i got mine for 100 bucks and put it in myself, i have seen others in the for sale forum for around the same. Traction wise its great though!

So, how does the lock rite know when to engage? Does it engage after the rear tires slip? A friend tried to explain to me how it knows when to engage but it just confused me.

i took this off of another website....
The Lock-Rite transferres power to the wheels through intermeshing teeth in such a way that one wheel cannot be powered ahead of the other. When entering a turn, where the outside wheel needs to travel faster than the inside wheel, the teeth driving the outside wheel disengage. The Lock-Right Locker is quieter than competing locking differentials, but nonetheless, as the vehicle continues through the turn, the teeth repeatedly engage and disengage producing a ratcheting sound.
Its "always engaged" but allows for turning so your wife wouldnt have to turn it on or off. Put it in and go kinda thing.

I ran my Lock-Rite for about 2 years and liked it well enough. Took me through Gatekeepers (before the sierra club remodel) when it was wet and snowy, never got stuck. It is a little noisey.

Back