• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saginaw box anatomy (I think something broke)

vetteboy

NAXJA Forum User
So I drilled and tapped my XJ steering box for hydro assist as per all the various writeups out there, and went to install the orbital valve back into the top of the box. Didn't seem like it threaded in as far as it was when I had it out originally but after threading the outer locking ring back on, it felt good on the bench so I bolted it back up.

I was then putting the rest of the steering together, and went to turn the wheels a little bit to line up the hydro ram (full manual steering at this point, motor doesn't run). 39.5s on pavement @4 psi take some force to steer so I was hangin on the wheel pretty good.

It started to turn a little bit, then something went *pop* and now there's about 180* of free play in the steering wheel. It feels like it'll steer after that free play interval but I don't wanna hang on it again. I was going to try and adjust the backlash on the sector shaft but after thinking about it a little more I don't think that's the issue.

I'm thinkin I probably fucked up the orbital valve by (a) not putting it back in properly and (b) torquing the hell out of it by trying to manually turn the wheels. I have another orbital so it's not a huge deal if I have to replace it, but I'd rather have an idea of what I'm after here.

Can anyone confirm this? Anyone have this happen before? I'd sorta like to have manual steering available if I blow the motor up on the trail, so hopefully this was just my error in putting it back together and not a limit of the components in the box.

Back