• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying another jeep need some transfercase info!

fitbmxseries1

NAXJA Forum User
ok a freind found me a jeep that im gunna go look at tommorow he told me it was an 87 cherokee or wagoneer with very little rust but badly faded paint, and about 120,000 miles on it. the engine runs great (vehicle was owned by a mechanic and was the only owner) but the transfercase is shot i was told the tranny works good though. he said it was time to buy a new one so this one has been sitting for a few months on blocks with no wheels on it (he sold the rims and tires) but it still starts up right away. all for only 200$. since i havnt talked to the guy personaly and every thing has went through my freind all the info may not be correct. i was wonder with a bad transfer case is there any way to drive it or are they usualy completly stuck? and what does a transfer case usualy go for at a bone yard?

Put the tranny in neutral, the transfer in 4X part time and turn the front driveshaft by hand. If the rear tires are off the ground, the rear drivershaft should turn as you turn the front. You can often feel any serious problems in the transfer case. If the shift motor for the right front axle isn't engauging you won't get any front wheel drive, that may be the problem.

If the motor doesn't make any really strange noises, or doesn't have an excessive amount of blowby. Maybe a compression test. The tranny shifts and doesn't display any strange symptoms. It's likely worth $200 for the parts. Someplace to park it, where you can work on it would be nice, it may turn out to be a process.
Check it out as best as you can, maybe find somebody with a little more Jeep experience to help you out. it would be a bummer to buy somehting that is only worth the price of the scrap metal.
I usually make a list of likely parts I'm going to need. Radiator is likely, battery, tires and rims etc. Try out some of the little stuff like windshield wipers, lights, windows and door locks. etc. Jeep parts are expensive it adds up quick.
I doubled the purchase price of my last XJ in two years, just replacing worn out/faulty parts.
It sometimes takes awhile of driving around, before you figure out exactly what you have and what needs to be done.

i definaly want to use this as a daily driver till spring when im going to be getting a differnt car and sell a few of mine. then id like to build a trail rig. i know setting a limit on money i want to spend on it is somthing that would never work out because good enough just isnt good enough! but im starting to get way ahead of my self here. kinda sucks i dont have the number for this guy so i cant really contact him unless i talk to my freind im trying to get ahold of him so i can go look at it. and youd better belive ill bring my camera! from what im hearing the guy just wants it out of hs yard because he doesnt want to work on it or use it agian. i work at a radiator shop so i have all the equipment to make things easy but not 100% familiar with everything on it, but i have found this site quite hlepful
now im too exited and i want to go look at it. i wish my friend would awnser his cell phone!

Back