• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing a 95XJ

drumset5994

NAXJA Forum User
So here's the specs...its a 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4-Door 4x4 Automatic Command-Trac (only part-time 4x4).

I wanna tow it on a tow dolly.

What specs do i have to do to tow this? I hear Neutral on both the tranny and transfer case...some people say Park in the tranny and Neutral on the transfer case.

Also, some people say to disconnect the drive shaft.

Whats good for a single 40 mile trip home?

For a a dolly trip, I'd disconnect the drive shaft at the rear axle, pull it out of the transfer case and throw it in the back. You can put a plastic bag over the TC output to keep the juice in. Once the shaft is off, the rest of the drivetrain is irrelevant.

With a transfer case system, you can simply put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park.

Another thread taught me this - please take credit, whoever posted:

If towing a 2wd vehicly, you must disconnect the rear driveshaft. The oil pump in the transmission is controlled by the motor, and it won't be oiled. The transfer case pump is controlled by the gears and rotation of the shaft, so you can leave the driveshaft attached for a 4wd vehicle.

Although no situation will hurt from pulling the driveshaft.

In case you haven't been keeping up with the similar other thread on a similar situation, please note that on a dolly you must disconnect a shaft, because when you put the TC in neutral it will lock into 4WD, and obviously on a dolly the front wheels are not free to spin. You can tow it on a sling with no harm, and flat tow it with no harm. But on a dolly, pull the shaft.

Back