• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"CLUNK" then rear lock up

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
My rear brakes on my 92 xj keep locking up. I have checked the pads, cleaned and adjusted the brakes with no help to my problem. When i brake even slightly harder then normal i get a loud "clunk" from the rear drums and my rears seem to lock up dangerously and controllably. Some times the drums will stay locked after a full stop, drive forward and "clunk" then they release.

I was thinking maybe a leaking brake cylinder might case this problem. Yes that would cause the brakes to lock but what about the big clunk? BTW they look fine.

Any ideas? Springs not springing back to normal position? Drum indents to big?

Two common things cause these symptoms. Oil on the brake shoes, or having gotten the leading and trailing shoes swapped.

I would have to agree,brake fluid on the shoes,or you have the shoes mixed up.Also,why not replace the hardware(springs,etc)while youre at it,not that expensive:roflmao:

Both side lock up but seems to be the driverside making the big "clunk" sound. I pulled the tire and drum off and it looks like i have a leak comming from the axle tube. I am assuming that good cause the lock up ?

Well the leak wouldn't cause the lock up but a problem with the transfer case or the rear end would, and I mean in the diff. Does it do this in 4WD? Do you have a stick or manual? Does it stall/drop RPM's when this happens?

You could have somebody walk behind you and go slow to 'create' the problem so that the thunk could be traced to the root, maybe put it up in the air but BE CAREFUL.

Havent ran 4 wheeldrive in a while since my front diff has not been regeared yet. Its a auto tran and the RPMS dont drop quicker then usual.

Today i went for a drive and hit the brakes moderately hard i felt the driver side lock with a "clunk" and then once i gave it gas "clunk" again then normal.

The comment about the leak not causing the lockup it totally false.

Oil or grease on the brake shoes will cause a very severe lockup, to the point that I have seen axles broken.

old_man said:
The comment about the leak not causing the lockup it totally false.

Oil or grease on the brake shoes will cause a very severe lockup, to the point that I have seen axles broken.

I was thinking of calipers not shoes, sorry

Back