• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 to AW4 Swap (92XJ)

Chapterzero

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so i'm planning on attempting this swap in the next few weeks so my XJ will be a more reliable tow rig...
A couple questions:
1. As I understand it, if I get a 91+ AW4 the output is 23 spline, and should bolt right to my 231? (OK, I guess that wasn't really a question)
2. My only real major concern comes with wiring the tranny... Theoretically couldn't I just harvest the Trans Control Moduele and wiring from the donor vehicle and plug and play? I'm sure that's not the case, and the part I will need the most help with. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

You may also need the PCM (Powertrain Control Module, or "main engine controller") since ChryCo likes to change back and forth with the PCMs.

Apart from that, a 1991-later AW4 should be a direct mechanical swap, but you may have to move your crossmember (I know on RENIX they have two sets of holes to bolt the thing into - the forward set was for the Peugeot, the rear for the Aisin manuals. I don't recall where the X-mbr for the AW4 went. Also, if you have to use the other set of holes, they may be stripped - it is possible to cut an "access hole" in the frame rail and use that to put nuts on the ends of the screws - it's what I ended up doing when I relocated the X-mbr in my 88 after the AX15 swap.)

I'd have to check the FSM for more details, but I need to get mine re-bound, first. Don't suppose you have a 1992FSM, do you? Having it to refer to would make the job a lot easier, and help to point up the electronic differences between the AW4 and AX15. At least you won't have to change the TPS...

On a side note - don't suppose your AX15 has the external slave setup, does it? (Probably not - too early...) but I'm on the lookout for one, so I thought I'd ask...

5-90

Hey,
Funnily enough I think I swapped a computer into mine from an Auto Jeep, and it runs fine... SO if that's the case there might already be some provisions there to get the info (that the tranny needs) from the computer to the Tranny Control Module - who knows.
On a side note, the AX-15 has the internal slave... It's funny though, I've already received 2PM's about people wanting the AX-15.

On the post-Renix setup, the TCU needs to get the TPS signal from the ECU instead of the dual output TPS. The manual version of the ECU doesn't provide that signal, but if you have an auto version of the ECU in place, then you're set in that regard.

You should be able to transplant the TCU and wiring. You will have to do some digging in the wiring harness to splice in the TCU wiring harness for stuff like ign power, constant power, tps signal, brake pedal switch, power/comfort switch, etc. YOu'll also need to wire up the NSS to at least get the reverse lights working. Not too bad if you're handy with wiring and can read the FSM wiring schematics. The AW4 had some sensor changes with the 96/97 change to ODBII, so you'll want to make sure the AW4 and TCU are compatible.

Chapterzero said:
Hey,
Funnily enough I think I swapped a computer into mine from an Auto Jeep, and it runs fine... SO if that's the case there might already be some provisions there to get the info (that the tranny needs) from the computer to the Tranny Control Module - who knows.
On a side note, the AX-15 has the internal slave... It's funny though, I've already received 2PM's about people wanting the AX-15.

Thanks - just thought I'd ask. I'm trying to convert my "internal" AX-15 to an "external" - which is why just the bearing retainer and the bellhousing (and associated parts) would serve for me - I'm just damn tired of paying out $110 or so when another T/O bearing blows stupid on me...

5-90

Back