• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which 8.25?

foreman1063

NAXJA Forum User
Is there an easy way to tell if an 8.25 is a 27 or 29 spline without pulling a shaft. This is from a 96 which I've been told may have either. This particular 96 has the new style nv231 with the external slip yoke so just wondering/hoping if it also has the 29 spline rear axle as well. Thanks

I wouldn't count on getting an answer worth betting on, but the dealership may be able to tell you if you give them your VIN#.
make friends with a service guy, ask them and hope for the best.

otherwise ya gotta count'em.

Thanks guys, I think I can get a dial caliper on the shaft inside the diff and measure. IIRC the 29 spline is 1.21" and the 27 is 1.17". I'm just not sure where that measurement is taken and if the shafts tapers down or not. I'll give it a try and see.

gregmondro said:
if you're gonna go through all that trouble (still opening the diff), just pull the shaft and count.
I would but the axle has a lunch box locker and looks like it would be a pain getting the "c" clips off.

I'm wonderingthe same thing, as mine is a 1996 model as well. The FAQ thread on this site (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101249 says:

"Chrysler 8.25:
This axle came in non-ABS equipped Cherokees starting in 1988. It is identified by its flat bottomed casting on the center section. This is a c-clip rear end with 2 major variations:
1988 - 1995
These units were equipped with 27 spline axle shafts and about the same strength as the Dana 35. The only advantage is the housing is stronger.
1995 - 2001
These units are 29 spline equipped and are considerably stronger than a Dana 35 rear end."

but www.ring-pinion.com says 1997 was when they changed. I'd like to know what mine has without disassembling it, so that I'll know what locker to order.

Opie doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. :)

1996 was the transition year. It's generally agreed that "early" 96s had the 27-spline and "later" 96s had the 29-spline. But it's pretty much a crap shoot. There's no way to absolutely know without counting the splines.

When I had my 96, I just assumed that I had the 27-spline, since that it the way my luck goes. :laugh3:

Back