• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not NOW!! TPS and wont shift out of 1st!!

aroncull

NAXJA Forum User
yes i searched and yes i read some of the threads i could find but i am posting this question for guidance because i didnt find what i have..

Symptoms are/where:

* unable to keep engine running at idle [parking lots or turning into parking spot]

* engine would not shift correctly, [auto] 1st then 2nd and 3rd and then 4th/overdrive?? all within or under 45mph
i mean right off the line regular rev range 2500 itll shift into 2nd and then right away again into 3rd.... i tried to get on the highway and it was sad i almost had to pull off the slow lane.. i couldnt go above 55 mph i was stuck in overdrive...!!!

* i have hood vents [labaron] so i figured that the TPS was the 1st thing to go after...

* new tps in and 1st start up it revved almost to redline

i removed and reinstalled trying to pay attention to where the throttle body blade was and the recieving end of the TPS and i could get it to install without over revving but it would still die out after high revvs [pulling the throttle cable]

finally got it installed where it wouldnt die off with high or super high rev range thinking i had the recieving end of the TPS matched to the throttle blade.. so i test drive it

It wont shift out of 1st gear!!

sorta of a long post and yeah im no mechanic but it is my DD and was trying to fix what i could before i give up and take it to the mechanic...

so maybe its the IAC? Or CPS? or fuel filter, or maybe i killed the new TPS when installing it? the Chilton manual says to take it to the dealer for calibration?? so i dunnno.. HELP!! ??? geez. The above sensors are all the things i saw that could be related [maybe] after reading the threads from searching......

Stats:

1997 sport 130,000 miles Auto
4" lift armour all around 33's STOCK GEARS [yes i know]

engine stuff:

4.0 L I6
Drop in K&N filter
AirFlow Snorkle / ram air mod [my elephant mod]
Accel Cap, Rotor, 8MM super stock wires and new Bosch PLatt set to stock gappage.
5-90's Mega battery cable set that replaces most of the cables..
CFS Radiator
new water pump
new Temp sensor
new serp belt
newer Intake of of a 2000 XJ
Banks turbo torque Header and 2.5" pipe all the way out through a Vmax cat back muffler and a high flow Cat..

Didnt have any issues before the manifold swap.. but then it would only do the stalling out thing, Then i was able to get it to stop stalling by pulling the battery to clear the computer... [ only had to do this once]

Then i had the same problem but this time it affected the shifting too..

1 more question.. is there a way to totally clear the computer for new running numbers... new intake manifold and header... ive been just pulling the battery and letting it sit for 10 mintes... is there a step im missing in there?

Thanks Aaron

Last edited:
maybe the wrong TPS?? I dunno, kinda sounds like what happened to me when I changed mine out for the same reasons as you. When I looked harder at it, the TPS i had just bought was made to spring the blade back the wrong direction....make sure you have the correct tps (compare it with the old). Anyway, thats all I have to offer. Good luck!

OK sorry about that. This is what it says. WAIT before we start lets remember that if you make sparks around a wet cell battery you run the risk of BLOWING F_ _ _ _ ing plastic schrapnel into your face and eyes. Thats why you always disconnect the negative cable first and reconnect it last. THINK about it.
Disconnect the negative cable

Disconnect the pos cable and touch it to anything bare metal

Hold it there for 30 seconds

Reconnect the pos cable

Reconnect the negative cable

Turn the ignition key to run(just before start), but dont start the eng

Turn headlights on

Turn headlights off

Turn ignition off

People argued about this sequence in the thread I found it in. What its doing is rebooting the computer. I reprogram electric fork lifts. After setting the controller (computer) we disconnect the battery and blow the horn until it stops making any noise. This discharges the capacitor and reboots.
Im a mechanic but no expert on jeeps. Lets try to walk through a few things and see if we can help. There are some VERY knowledgeable people on naxja but I bet a lot of them a doing other things tonight:cheers:

Last edited:
dizzymac said:
Was TPS adjusted to spec?

I don't believe you can adjust the TPS on the non-renix 4.0's. I know the TPS i just got for mine cannot be adjusted.

non adjustable on mine a 97
ill try the battery thing tomarrow thanx guys keepem coming....

As far as it shifting through the gears too early, that is an easy fix. Mine did that when I got it bach from getting the head gasket replaced. You have 2 cables coming off of the throttle body. One goes to the gas pedal, and one goes to the tranny. There is a button on the tranny cable it is the one that goes back over the valve cover and down the firewall. With the engine OFF, push the metal button in on top of the cable, and open the throttle at the same time. Open the throttle all the way up and this will set the tranny where you will have passing gear again. You may have to play with it a few times to get it just right, but you should see what I am talking about, as it is harder to explain than to adjust.
As far as the TPS you will need to clean it thoroughly. I loosened the torx screws on mine and set it in the middle. It is working ok, but may need tweaking (I love that word)
I hope this helps.

Ok so the battery thing didnt do the trick. I also put the old TPS on and it is just as bad as before...
It wont stay running and when i throttle heavy [pulling throttle cable] it will die out under duration, something it did not do before.

Also the new TPS does not seem to have the same range or "default" position as the old one. I mean that the plastic seat for the throttle blade [TPS side] is in a different position and has a different range of motion.
I can change it as well. The old TPS if i stick my knife in the seat and twist it it will just flip back to default, the new one doesnt do this it is messed up i guess. It wont flip back to default it will sorta slip and stick and then moves to a different position.. also if i try, i can move it with a knife completely backwards and outside of where the old TPS will move under the same knife and the same direction.. does that make sense??

I dont know if this was user error in my 1st install atttempt. Maybe i orqued the seat or something??

Well anyways.. any thoughts??
Thanks Guys....

Aaron

BTW Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and yeah XJRob2 i was able to figure out what you meant by the transmission button.. thats great once i can keep her running then ill be able to fine tune her a little with that..
Thanks..!!

XJRob2 said:
As far as it shifting through the gears too early, that is an easy fix. Mine did that when I got it bach from getting the head gasket replaced. You have 2 cables coming off of the throttle body. One goes to the gas pedal, and one goes to the tranny. There is a button on the tranny cable it is the one that goes back over the valve cover and down the firewall. With the engine OFF, push the metal button in on top of the cable, and open the throttle at the same time. Open the throttle all the way up and this will set the tranny where you will have passing gear again. You may have to play with it a few times to get it just right, but you should see what I am talking about, as it is harder to explain than to adjust.
As far as the TPS you will need to clean it thoroughly. I loosened the torx screws on mine and set it in the middle. It is working ok, but may need tweaking (I love that word)
I hope this helps.

The AW4 shifting is electronically controlled, so adjusting the throttle cable will not affect the shift points. The shift cable controls hyd pressure in the tranny and hence affects the firmness of the shifting. I suppose if it's way too loose, it could shift so sluggishly as to not shift until very late.

OK i was able to go to autozone and get another TPS unit.. It is a different brand and was more solid and seemed better just In the hand..
Once installed it worked like a charm.
No high revs, no die outs and best of all it shifts like Normal . I can even go on the highway!!! HooooooooooooooooWeeeeee

I will post the version of the TPS later .. the 1st one was from advanced auto parts and the good one came frm autozone...

Back