• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna resistance question

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what the resistance the antenna should have from tip to shield? I've read 50 ohms but am not quite sure.

Also, what happens to your CB if you try to Xmit with a shorted antenna?

Thanks in advance.

You were right, 50ohms on the coax. Your cb is also 50ohms. When you match your antenna in,if your antenna is adjustable you are trying to get it as close to 50ohms as you can. If you run your cb with a high SWR it most likely will take awhile to burn out your final. Most cb's detect high SWR's and cut it's output. hope i helped

Daron, don't answer if you don't know what you are talking about.

The resistance is NOT 50 ohms. The impedence is 50 ohms. Big difference. For the most part, if you measure a cb antenna with an ohmmeter, it should read as an open or infinate resistance. There are exceptions to this rule, but they are not your standard run of the mill antennas and are one in a thousand.

old_man said:
Daron, don't answer if you don't know what you are talking about.

The resistance is NOT 50 ohms. The impedence is 50 ohms. Big difference. For the most part, if you measure a cb antenna with an ohmmeter, it should read as an open or infinate resistance. There are exceptions to this rule, but they are not your standard run of the mill antennas and are one in a thousand.
Thanks old_man. When I first installed it ( a Wilson K1000) it read infinity. Now its not (zero, zilch, nada, 1/. Guess I have to check for a crushed wire or shorted coil. It may just be snowmelt that refroze in the mount.

Last edited:
Back