• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

comprehensive Tire Test

flexjay87

NAXJA Forum User
i want to see someone (some off-road magazine i guess) step up and do a real world tire test. seems like there are so many new tires out there, and so many questions from new comers to off-roadin about them ,and how they might compare to the old school stuff. my opinion is that what worked in the past still makes sense today. and that is, big lugs with big voids make great mud tires, everything else is a compromise on the trail( or is it?) one of the questions i always see, is what's a good tire for combo use. well there never used to be one, unless you live where its bone dry, and then you could probably get by with about any all terrain, with sidewall strength being the important factor. but in loose, wet, deep, snowy, muddy, earth, you are going to need a very aggressive tire. even if you don't "need" them, that little photo cell in the male DNA, called TESTOSTERONE, tells you, big tires are cool. it's just a fact, and we all love it. so i remembered a Mud tire test that was done in Petersons 4 Wheel& off-road magazine,(June 2001 issue) and it so happens i still have it, but the test was ok, but not real extensive, but i have not seen anything that big since though (7 different brands).i would like to see a test where they would test all the new tires ( or a series of tests),mud and all terrain, head to head, along with the old standbys, like BFG, Swamper etc. i would love to see if the new"Computer" designs will hold up in, lets say, Georgia clay, deep south Gumbo mud, Midwest farm mud, loose, rocky, muddy, loose, hill climbs,snow, real world conditions, you get the idea. and then compare these tires to on road conditions, sound and mileage (treadwear) would be most important to me, for example. are the magazines scared of a test like this?cuz i don't see one. are the marketing people nervous? sitting here reading my old article, Boggers got first place, but SSR's came in second. now a SSr is advertised as a semi-agressive, better than stock replacement for "SUV's", if i remember right. MTR's came in third(yeah right) remember this is a mud "shootout" as the magazine called it. mtr was ahead of the Tsl, Gumbo mudder, and the BFG., HUH? anyhow, would love to see if there is a tire out there that's lets say 90% as good as a Swamper off-road, but is also 90% as good on road as say a BFG all terrain, i know, keep wishing. well at least show a scale or graph showing who's good at what. fyi, test in Petersons, rated the tires in 6 categories, 1, distance in mud pit 2, flotation,3,sterring,4, launch,5,hillclimb(in two wheel drive?) and how well they clean out. a new test is due!!!! my wish, is a quiet mud tire, that kicks ass off road, have not seen one yet.........

Back