• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smoked blinker lens

SKIM

NAXJA Forum User
Hay I was wandering If any one has or can tell me where I can get blinker lenses that are smoked color. For my 94 XJ.

DIY = Do It Yourself.

You can't buy any already smoked lenses anywhere I have seen, probably because they are illegal in most states.

Nope, you spray it on the outside of the lens, and yes, that is the stuff.
Its fairly easy, if you follow the directions correctly. I learned this the hard way the first time I did it, and was almost unable to get the paint off the lenses. The fourth type of chemicals we used finally did the trick. Sand down the lenses lightly with some fine sandpaper, this will give you a better surface for the paint to adhere to. (Otherwise the paint will run, especially on the side markers) Spray lightly, do one coat, and let it dry (it will look like there is nothing on there, but it will start to show up once dried) Keep going back and spraying a little bit more on until it will dry shiny black. (If you just spray it on until the wet paint is black, then it will dry dull charcaol gray and won't let light through. I found this out the hard way)
Here is what mine look like.
DSC02081.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/begster/Kingston8-21-06006.jpg
And here is what will happen if you don't sand the side markers. (notice how it dribble down and is blotched)
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/begster/100_0089-1.jpg

As for the back, I have the Carbon fiber covers from AVS. They Don't really flow with the body lines because they are raised up off the light, and you can also see some of the coloring of the tail light from around the edges. They also cover up the reverse lights, which means zero light when backing up at night (I just wired up some new aux lights under the bumper so I can now finally see while backing up. My buddy Jay, who also has blacked out his lights, used the pain on his back, and I suggest you do what he did, He blacked out the blinker and brake part, but left the reverse light part free so he can still see (http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/begster/P10100172.jpg). The main reason I still have my covers on the back are because one of my tail lights is broken and being held together by hotglue, and the cover hides that some, I'm lazy, and 2 times I have gone to get an inspection and the guy has told me to take off the covers or he won't do the inspection. I have had plenty of cops behind me though and never had a problem.

Last edited:
DIY = Do It Yourself.

LOL man I feel stupid :doh: Hay begster Do you have any good pics of what yours look like.

i took mine off and pried the orange lens...be careful not to break them...then i painted the back portion black and guled back on the orange...real easy to do and very cheap...makes it not quite as dark as above but alot darker than stock

It's been years since I did this but I painted my turn signals and tail lights on my GTI. I got black paint from a model store. I wanna say it was made by Testers. They use it to paint models and it's kinda clear black if that makes sense. You put it on very lightly and do a lot of coats of it to build it up. It comes in all colors.

It's Testers enamel spray paint.

Back