• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Issues (help)

Sport cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj sport. I'm in the middle of swapping radiators but i'm stuck with at a stand still.

I removed all the larger rubber hoses upper and lower. I removed the one at the top on the drivers that I asume cools the oil, but now i'm stuck at the one at the bottom on the driver side that I assume cools the tranny, It won't seem to come out and I don't want to jerk around with it because the brass extention that stuck in the radiator seem fragile.

How can I remove it from the radiator without breaking anything?

Sport cherokee said:
I have a 99 xj sport. I'm in the middle of swapping radiators but i'm stuck with at a stand still.

I removed all the larger rubber hoses upper and lower. I removed the one at the top on the drivers that I asume cools the oil, but now i'm stuck at the one at the bottom on the driver side that I assume cools the tranny, It won't seem to come out and I don't want to jerk around with it because the brass extention that stuck in the radiator seem fragile.

How can I remove it from the radiator without breaking anything?

I may be wrong, my newest XJ is a 96. But I've heard the tranny cooler connection for the newer XJ's is the type with four spring clips inside the coupling that you can hardly see (from the outside). Very much like the fuel rail connector. It takes a tool that slips inside the coupling to compress the spring clips to seperate the coupling.
Maybe somebody with more experience with 99 will chime in.
I wouldn't force it. Before I found out for sure or managed to get a mirror and flashlight up in there to look at it really closely.

8Mud said:
I may be wrong, my newest XJ is a 96. But I've heard the tranny cooler connection for the newer XJ's is the type with four spring clips inside the coupling that you can hardly see (from the outside). Very much like the fuel rail connector. It takes a tool that slips inside the coupling to compress the spring clips to seperate the coupling.
Maybe somebody with more experience with 99 will chime in.
I wouldn't force it. Before I found out for sure or managed to get a mirror and flashlight up in there to look at it really closely.
Huh, so there is a special tool for those fittings. I always just tried a screwdriver but ended up completely ripping the tube off the fuel rail. I still can't imagine they went to that with the tranny cooler lines though, it'd be too tough to get the tool down in there...it's hard enough on the older ones to just get your finger on the ears of the quick disconnect tabs.

The rubber hose can get hardcore stuck to those sometimes. It might be worth saving yourself the trouble and just buying a new lower rad hose from kragen for $15 and cutting the old one off. imo

I just installed my new radiator and it running smooth. Wasn't as hard as I thought are timely. Paid 123.00 for the radiator not including tax then another 10.00 for the special 3/8 tool needed to disconnect the transmission cooler line. Now I just have to get my oil pressure up.

Sport cherokee said:
I just installed my new radiator and it running smooth. Wasn't as hard as I thought are timely. Paid 123.00 for the radiator not including tax then another 10.00 for the special 3/8 tool needed to disconnect the transmission cooler line. Now I just have to get my oil pressure up.
Glad you got it going. Was the tool a dealer only item or did you get it at a parts store?

I got it at a part store. It's mainly used for fuel lines and A/C lines. They come in a pack of like six different sizes for different size tubes.

Back