• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short arm / long arm (What should i get from whom?)

Matt_West

NAXJA Forum User
The vehicle is an 87 XJ wagoneer (4.0, NP242, AW4, D44 rear axle with factory locker) I intend to swap to 4.88 gears, add 33 inch tires, and will trim the fenders. I desire to keep the center of gravity as low as possible while meeting the above objectives.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and am looking for a suspension that will give me maximum flex while still being streetable. I would like to take the rig to places like Evans Creek. It will NOT be a daily driver, but must be able to drive to and from trails.

Installing the kit myself is important to me, but I will get help welding if necessary. Completeness of the kit is essential, I want to have all the necessary parts to finish the job.

There are a lot of recommendations for the Rubicon Express Systems and these systems are within budget. Please help with your experience and recommendations. Please be specific as to what should be on my shopping list and whom you recommend I should buy it from.

Is there any reason I should look at a higher lift, for more articulation? What are the advantages of a taller lift?

This is my first 4X4 so I don't have a lot of reference points. Current DD is lowered, stiffenned, and on monoballs so I may be missguided as the virtues of a low CG to the detriment of other off road capabilities...

I would recommend that you wheel your XJ stock and see what it can do and get to know it first.

BUT, most likely you wont do that... So, I really like RE's stuff and you're right there near them..

Like Brett said, get the RE 4.5" superflex lift kit and sub in 3.5" springs. Cut the fenders and you're good to go. OR dont cut them and bump stop it properly.

Check out our website www.backyard4x4.com under bio's.

Chris

Matt_West said:
Thanks Chris,

How long should I wheel it stock for? Should I disconnect the sway bar when wheeling stock?

I would highly recommend linking up with the NWC the next time we go out on a run. Plenty of experience and knowledge to answer your Q's. We just got back from a snow run that you would have done well on. We have everything from mild to wild and contrary to popular belief, are pretty nice people.

See you there,

John

Thanks John,
I thought minimum tire spec for the snow runs was a 31". I sure will check in on the Northwest forums and look for the next event.

Right now I am at the earliest stages of newbness and don't even have proper recovery points... Sure wish the FAQ had a newb evolution guide. Something along the lines of:
1. Buyers guide
2. Baseline maintenance routine
3. Preparing the Stock XJ for mild wheeling
A. Things to have bolted to rig
B. Thing to carry
4. Sequence of evolution / best order to begin modifications

Thanks,
Matt

I know this doesn't really answer your question, and I don't know how much research/background reading you've done, but I've always felt that everyone who buys an XJ with the intention of going off road should read this entire website. It will explain a lot, including info. about articulation. http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp1.html

Back