• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 swapped now theres a noise

KSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Sounds like a grinding/churning noise when slow down to below 20. It gets much louder at that speed, but can't really hear it when going faster due to my tires and loud exaust. Could it be the gears or brakes or what???? It has ZJ disk brake swap done on it, and limited slip and stock gears. This d44 came from an XJ. The previous owner rebuilt it and had it under his 99 with no problems.

Well after lifting the rear of the jeep up it sounds like the noise is coming from the zj disk brakes. The seem to be scraping somewhere... released the E-brake all the way and the noise is still there. The wheels stop after spinning the tire sooner than I think it should. But its not a sudden stop, but a gradual stop.

wouldn't it get hot, cause I can touch the brakes when I stop and their not hot at all. Granted its like 30 outside but I would think they would get hot.

KSXJ said:
wouldn't it get hot, cause I can touch the brakes when I stop and their not hot at all. Granted its like 30 outside but I would think they would get hot.
The dust shield is just a thin piece of metal. It could be smashed all the way against the rotor, or just a little bit of it touching. I doubt that it'd get very hot at all.

You can easily bend it back by using a screw driver to pry it back from the rotor if that is what is making the noise.

no just enough to bug you if you are on pavement and slowing down without the radio. But I like knowing where the noises are coming from. This is a new one and want to make sure it is the brakes and not something more serious or somethign that will cause other problems.

BoostedHULK said:
the pads are always draggin', so it's not like it's freely spinning. How loud is it? loud enough to irritate? block out the radio?
If you're moving it's spinning.

The rotors are on the lugs of the axles, aka when the axles are spinning so are the rotors. The calipers and the backing plates are stationary however.

Back