• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning old coil springs

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a set of used coil springs that the paint is falling off and they are a little rusty. What's the best way to clean them off & repaint them? I'm using a dremel, but it is taking forever! Does anyone have a better idea, or is it even worth the trouble?

How much rust? If it is just a little surface rust, then I would use a wire brush to get the most of it off, then use some of the Rustolium spray paint for heavy rust and spray them down. That stuff has the rust converter in the paint, so it converts the rust to another oxide form.

One the layer is dry, then you can shoot it with whatever you want.

Gravel - yeah, I'd love to do that, but I'm cheap!

Anthropy - That what I was thinking, unless I can get a deal on the sandblasting

bigazxj said:
if you have a compressor go to harbor frieght and pick up a $25 sand blaster and $5 bag of sand from home depot
if not try a spring shop or drive shaft shop for cheap sand blasting
link for $15 sand blaster http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45998

justin
X2! I've got one and love it. If you get one, get an inline water filter for the compressor and a mask. Also, if there's a Northern Hydraulics where you live, you can go there and get silica sand for $5 per bag. It's a great media for blasting.

I love Harbor Freight! $15, I can do. But I only have a 9 gal tank, is that big enough for a sand blaster?

RenixPower - Inline water filter? Maybe I dont understand how a sand blaster works, I thought it was just like a paint gun except it has sand in the hopper.

splitz said:
RenixPower - Inline water filter? Maybe I dont understand how a sand blaster works, I thought it was just like a paint gun except it has sand in the hopper.
I didn't make that very clear. The water filter makes sure that no water goes through the air line. Water as in condensation from the compressed air. It sucks to have the sand clump up when water gets to it. It is indeed just like a paint gun with sand in the hopper...that's a pretty good comparison. Hope I cleared that up a little bit.

splitz said:
I love Harbor Freight! $15, I can do. But I only have a 9 gal tank, is that big enough for a sand blaster?

Id say as long as the motor can handle it you'd be good. Then again a lot of the stronger motors have bigger tanks so idk. If its a tiny motor it might be a pain to wait for it to work its way up. x2 on the filter. When i cleaned mine, i just used the one at school, but idk what kinda compressor they have, prolly something pretty big.

Back