• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dynomax - only fits up to '99?

wolverine 00 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I went to order a Dynomax Super Turbo Cat Back Kit from Quadratec. I noticed that online, it says they only fit XJ's up to 1999, but the catalog says through 2001. I called them up, and the guy said that it looks like there is a misprint in the catalog, because he had a note saying that they only fit XJ's made before some date early in 2000. Anybody know the story on this? Has anyone installed one on a 2000 or 2001 XJ? I will try to call Dynomax, but just wondered if anyone knew what the story is.
Thanks

Go to summitracing.com not only will the system be cheaper it also comes with the required flange to install it on 2000 and later systems.

Here's the reason for the fitting problems:

Prior to January 2000 (I'm not positive on the month) the cherokee's didnt' have an exhaust flange between the catalytic converter and muffler. After that date they did. If the flange is there then you can't just unbolt an exhaust clamp and slip off the muffler thus making it quite difficult to slide a muffler over a flange (doh!).

I have a 2000 XJ with the flange and I ordered my dynomax system from summitracing.com and had it shipped for like 140 bucks and it came with the flange piece to mate up to the flange b/w the catalytic converter.

XJ w/o flange (prior to 2000)

131_0410_exh_06_z.jpg

I can't find a picture of a flanged exhaust... if someone could post one to help him out, please.

Here's a picture of dynomax's schematic that includes part numbers of the parts included in the super turbo cat back system:
untitled.jpg

The dynomax system is a good system... It's not too loud, it certainly isn't annoying and does not make too much noise. However if you're looking to get noticed you might want to opt for rusty's flowmaster 40 system (www.rustysoffroad.com). The dynomax system definitely sounds good though, it has a really nice tone but it just isn't all that loud. Oh and the tip on it is just a little small, they could have made it with a 3" tip but instead made it with a 2.5".

If you're going to order it though, I would choose summit over quadratec. And let them know that you have a 2000 cherokee.

Back