• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 gears - 5.13?

heapxj

NAXJA Forum User
Will 5.13:1 gears fit in a Dana 44? Or does someone know the largest gears that will fit. I have 4.88s now and my truck is a dog with 36's. I want to go bigger if I can.

Yes, but it's not a very big jump from 4.88. Do you have a D44 in front?

Define "dog"...there's only so much we can expect from less than 200HP pushing 36's and a big lifted rig.

I blew up the dana 30 and plan to build a Dana 44 front. Since I am building a new axle I figure I should up the gearing. It struggles to go 65 on the highway which is why I say dog.

If you're building a D44 for the front, then it's worth it to go to 5.13.

My Sami barely did 65 also, and it was screaming at 4500 RPM (and it had a 1.6, 5.13 gears, 33" tires). Gearing will only help so much when it comes to highway speeds and wind resistance:dunno:

Dana 44 will go as low as 5.89:1.

if your runnin 36"s then i'd go to 5.38's, what did you break on your 30? of your goin through ujoints then its really not worth goin to a 44 since it uses the same ones.

ttocsnekia said:
I heard that once you get deeper than 5:13's, pinion strength goes down
This is true, the deeper the weaker.

A buddy of mine is running 5.89:1 Scout II axles in his Tracker. He only has ~85 hamsters under the hood though, so it lives ok even in British Columbia style rock crawling.

With a "real" engine that needs that kind of gearing I'd be looking at Dana 60s and/or look at moving the reduction upstream (doubler, 4:1, whatever).

That said, for most normal wheeling 5.12-5.38 in a Dana 44 is probably fine. If you are a rock hound though...

Last edited:
heapxj said:
I blew up the dana 30 and plan to build a Dana 44 front. Since I am building a new axle I figure I should up the gearing. It struggles to go 65 on the highway which is why I say dog.

4.88's and 36's should be adequate. 5.38's would probably be the gear of choice if you were gonna spend the $$$'s.

I just have to ask; do you really feel it's necessary(or safe) to go 65+ in a lifted XJ on 36's? :dunno:

ttocsnekia said:
I heard that once you get deeper than 5:13's, pinion strength goes down
you herd wrong, i know 2 peaple that got D44's with 5.38's and the only things they break are frt shafts, and one has even broken a couple sets of alloys, both are rinnin 36" Iroks and both are pretty hard on there rigs

ROBZ95Xj said:
you herd wrong, i know 2 peaple that got D44's with 5.38's and the only things they break are frt shafts, and one has even broken a couple sets of alloys, both are rinnin 36" Iroks and both are pretty hard on there rigs

What does that have to do with pinion strength going down?

Back