• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission shifting problems

aengelme

NAXJA Forum User
I just put in my new stroker engine which i had to pull the trans and engine out together. Now the engine is runnig fine but now the transmission is not upshifting. everything was fine when I took it out. I've checkedthe oil level and its good. i did have to put oil in to refill it but the auto parts store did not have the type of oil i needed. the guys at the autoparts store said that the multi vehicle synthetic oil would work. could it be the oil? any help would be nice.

thanks

The proper oil is Dexron III. Do not use multi vehicle or ATF+4 in the AW4 transmission as it can cause poor shifting.

I don't think that's your problem in this case though. Check the TPS sensor. Did you pressure wash it by chance? They really hate getting wet. What year are we talking about?

My FSM states that the AW4 takes Dexron IIE/Mercon. I thought Dex III was bad for the AW4?

Most of the problem with ATF and Dexron is the amount of friction in the mix. ATF has less friction. I imagine Dexron III meets or exceeds the requirements for previous Dexrons, but I don't know for sure.
Sounds like an electrical problem. Check the basics first, the fuse to the TCU and the TCU ground. Then the TPS and maybe the speed sensor circuit.
The wrong fluid won't generally mess with an upshift, other than possibly slipping while shifting or maybe somewhat erratic shifts.
Does reverse work OK?

8Mud said:
I imagine Dexron III meets or exceeds the requirements for previous Dexrons, but I don't know for sure.

Yes, that it correct. Dexron III superceded IIe. It has the same friction coefficients and viscosity, but I think uses a different base oil that holds up better in the long term. It's nearly impossible to find IIe anymore. The main problem with ATF+4 is that the friction coefficient is much lower and can cause excessive clutch slippage.

Going the opposite direction, you sometimes see people destroying Chrysler trannys by using Dexron because the higher friction coefficient causes clutch chatter and damage to the clutch facing material

Back