• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare Tire Configuration

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I searched, and didn't find anything on this. My searching skills probably suck, sorry. Anyhow, what I want to know is who runs their spare tire on the roof as opposed to who runs their spare tire on a rear bumper rack, why did you do it the way you did, and what are the pros and cons of each method? I have a Trail Ready rear bumper I bought off a guy, the swingarm is intact, but the tire carrier arm has been cut off. Is it worth my while to fab a new one (I have decent fab skills, I could make one that would be worthy) or should I just move to a roof mounted spare, and who makes a good rack for that? My spare will be a 35" radial on a steel wheel.

Thanks in advance.

This has been covered many times already. Here is a recent thread with a lot of discussion. I found it searching for spare tire.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=899941&highlight=spare+tire

My opinion is this... if I had 35" tires, there is no way I would want to lift it up and down from the roof, not to mention that your vehicle's center of gravity will be terrible.

If you have good fab skills, then make a swing out arm that is beefy enough to handle a 35" and call it good.

Good luck, and post up pics if you decide to make the swing out.

Brad

bknudtsen said:
That's the same thread that I found. After all that discussion, what did you decide to do?

Right now, It is cheeper for me to keep the spare in the cargo area either on the floor on some rig it up to fit in existing spare location. I even thought about building a storage box because I work in construction and I can get wood free!

To be honest I tow a trailer and I need the viablity in the rear when I back up plus I the rear tire mount is more money because of the bumper.

I also have to park in a parking garage when I got the doctors office but for the short term if i did go the roofrack way I would walk the extra block or two. As far as putting a roofrack up with the spare I really do not mind lifting the 31' tire up and down I am a tall and strong person and I keep a sweetshirt in the jeep so I don't get tire crap on me if I would take it down while i am wearing good shirt. The big ify is safety the high COG because of my XJ is a DD.

Whatever, I want a lift first but after I get that on...., my conclustion is if i had the money I would get the roofrack with the tirecarrier and secure hi lift mounts and put lights up even though I don't need them and with the money I saved I would get rock rails!

that is my $00.02 cents good luck

I've had this for almost 3 years now. I've only had to change my tire out once on the trail, but I sure am glad that I did not have to bring it down off the roof. I hear ya, though, on the cost of the bumper+swing out.

DSC01400.jpg

bknudtsen said:
I've had this for almost 3 years now. I've only had to change my tire out once on the trail, but I sure am glad that I did not have to bring it down off the roof. I hear ya, though, on the cost of the bumper+swing out.

DSC01400.jpg

Yeh that is my other big thing how often am I going to get up and change. I think I would use the roof rack more for storage. Which is another plus to having one.

Edit: BTW as of what I see I like your setup.

I have mine on my Surco. I would love to have a bumper and carrier but the funds are going elsewhere for now. My XJ is a DD and as far as the center of gravity thing ,can't tell the difference with or without it up there. Just remember its a Jeep not a corvette and you'll be fine with it roof mounted.
Xmas20063-1.jpg

bowhunter said:
I have mine on my Surco. I would love to have a bumper and carrier but the funds are going elsewhere for now. My XJ is a DD and as far as the center of gravity thing ,can't tell the difference with or without it up there. Just remember its a Jeep not a corvette and you'll be fine with it roof mounted.
Xmas20063-1.jpg

Yes I love that XJ, can't wait to see it. Anyway when you take a corner how fast do you take it. I am going to assume that your rear swaybar is gone too.

moparmatt said:
Anyway when you take a corner how fast do you take it.

How long is a piece of string?

I am going to assume that your rear swaybar is gone too.

Mine is as well - in fact, it wasn't there from the factory (I originally had the Up-Country suspension). Either way, having the tyre on the Surco rack doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to handling - after all, it's a Jeep, not a sports car. I drive it accordingly.

casm said:
Mine is as well - in fact, it wasn't there from the factory (I originally had the Up-Country suspension). Either way, having the tyre on the Surco rack doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to handling - after all, it's a Jeep, not a sports car. I drive it accordingly.

I understand it's a Jeep, not a sports car. For me the switch over a little car over to JEEP was a huge switch to me. The name of the game in a lifted veichle is NOT speed. Even in a stock XJ.

Let me rephrase my question. When cornering with your current setup lifted, and roof rack is the handling/bodyroll extrememly different than a stock setup?

BTW does the Up-Country suspension have the rear sway bar?

No rear sway bar, I trashed it a long time ago. I really don't drive it any different then I did stock. I actually think with the rear bar gone and the lift it rides better then stock.

Some other things to consider;

Center of gravity really doesn't become a huge issue until you disconnent the front swaybar on the trail and hit some off camber sections. There are some trails in Moab that would have a higher pucker factor with a higher COG. For example, when the left rear tire drops into the crack.

JUsig.jpg

That's alot of stress on a roof rack, and this is a very slow obstacle. Most of the trails have sections that cause the vehicle to roll side to side rather quickly, and the more weight that is up top, the more the suspension is working to combat the movement.

For daily driving use, I don't see an issue with putting it on the roof. But, remember, the author of the original post has 35" tires. These are much heavier, and will make a difference in daily driving, especially emergency maneuvers, when placed on the roof.

That being said, funds are always the limiting factor, so go with what you can afford and be aware of the shortcomings of whatever setup you choose to run.

Brad

I've had my C4X4 setup for a few years now. I kept the initial cost down by buying it used in the NAXJA classifieds.

The main reason I don't like roof racks is that I keep my Jeep in my garage every night. :) And the whole COG thing... Plus I've had to change a tire on the trail several times. The latest being this past week. And it's nice having the spare in a lower position.

DSC00448.jpg

moparmatt said:
BTW does the Up-Country suspension have the rear sway bar?

Nope. It was deleted if Up-Country was specified.

bknudtsen said:
Some other things to consider;

Center of gravity really doesn't become a huge issue until you disconnent the front swaybar on the trail and hit some off camber sections.

I disagree with you on this. Disconnected front swaybars typically improve COG in most situations, though I will admit that there always circumstances that this doesn't necessarily apply to.

casm said:
I disagree with you on this. Disconnected front swaybars typically improve COG in most situations, though I will admit that there always circumstances that this doesn't necessarily apply to.

I can see your point. The suspension articulates and absorbs the violent side to side movement that would happen if the swaybar was connected, but your COG does not change, IMHO. You are still top heavy, whether you are disco'd or not. Eventually, given enough angle, you are gonna flop sooner with a tire on the roof, than without. Thoughts?

depends where you ride trails that is
out west or wide open places no trees good visibility rear is OK
east coast or elsewhere trees and foliage I keep my 33 on top
gas milage I do not even consider anymore it is a heavy modified cherokee
Tellico here in the southeast you are asking to back into something and have a bad day with it on the rear

bknudtsen said:

DSC01400.jpg

Who's carrier is that?

Back