• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suggestions for new serpentine belt...cant get the damn thing on

5spd_xj

<<the good ol days
NAXJA Member
well, i shredded my serpentine belt earlier tonight, so i got the replacement, and got it all set, except i cant get the thing over the p/s pump...its just too tight. and, i have the tensioner screw underneath the pump maxed out, and the two bolts that slide removed to give it some extra play, and i still cant seem to get it...ANY suggestions/ideas are GREATLY appreciated. thanks very much in advance

Not trying to be a smart ass here, but is it possible you have the wrong size belt? Parts guys do make mistakes from time to time...

haha same here... pitch black, real cold...hopefully tomorrow it will be warmer. and i'm pretty sure its the right belt, do you know what it should be for a 4.0 with a/c?? i'll also try the idler pulley bit...any other suggestions? thanks for your input, guys.....

Loosen the alternator and swing it towards the engine. Slip the belt over the pulleys then pull the alternator back out and tighten. Finish off the adjustment with the lead screw on the PS pump.

I think it is a k016025 or something with a 25. I just changed out my harmonic balancer and they gave me the wrong belt. Double check.

To install the belt route the belt over the harmonic balancer first. Then move upward. Do everything but the water pump. The water pump is in the center above the harmonic balancer and this makes it the easiest to slip on. I did not have to loosen the idler, but that may help. Let us know how it comes out. Also make sure you are routing the belt the correct way. And how did the belt get shredded? Is your harmonic balancer bad?

yeah, i remember the 25, and it had a 6, too, so i'm pretty sure its the right belt...

i'm not positive why it shredded, but it was an older belt, and the a/c compressor i think may be starting to seize up, and although i didn't have it on, would there still be some resistance maybe? i'm going back now to try the water pump thing, i think that ought to work. thanks

well, just to be sure, i went to autozone and got another belt, and they're the same... i got it aroundn everything except the idler pulley, and i had the p/s pump unbolted in three spots(the top mount, and the two bolts on the back of it that can slide) and i could barely get the belt on. so, even then, i have no idea how i'm supposed to get the p/s pump bolted back up because everything's so tight as it is.... the top mount(of the p/s pump) is a good 2 1/2 inches towards the water pump, and when i pull on it to try and get it back aligned, i can get it to stretch MAYBE half an inch. this is waaaay more frustrating than it should be, i mean its just the damn serpentine belt, haha....any ideas for this?????? thanks again...

Stupid question and don't take offense, but are you sure you have it routed right?

unfortunately, i'm positive, haha...i wish i made a stupid mistake like that, but me and others have checked it, and it is right...

well. i left the jeep at the citgo, and the guy who owns the place said he'd take care of it sometime in the afternoon. so, i left and went snowboarding, and he did his thing, and for $35 figured out whatever the hell i was missing...he explained it to my dad, i'll ask in the morning and see what it was, just incase anyone in the future happens to do whatever i did...:dunno: :doh: :banghead:
so, thanks for your help and suggestions, i'll find out what it was i did (or didn't??) do and let cha'll know

Not sure if this is/was your problem, but on my jeep (92, 6inline, 4.0) you just take out the air box, loosen the p/s bolts (of the top of my head 2 on back, 2 on front) and use the bolt/adjuster on the bottom of the pump to reduce/increase tension on the belt. So you would loosen it to get the belt on and then put the tension on, tighten everything, done. Just my $0.02, good luck.

On my 98 I only loosened the belt tensioner. However when I was loosening the tensioner bolt the bolt was coming towards me, instead of the pully traveling down. Gave me some trouble until I pushed the pully down, gave me plenty of slack. But I thought it was all the way loosened

Also you may need to completely remove the front top bolt. and then put it back in when things are tensioned.....

It seems like a guess game, what will work certain days and what won't with this system you call a "tensioner" heh.

yeah, i know its weird...but yes, somehting about the airbox is what the guy at the citgo did ...whatever, its all set now so its cool with me, haha...thanks for the help

Check advanceautoparts.com or rockauto.com for the belt part number thats correct for your car and compare it to the one they gave you for quick reference.

'93 XJ 4.0 HO 2WD Auto

I did this...this very afternoon.

Something's awry with some mfg's belt specs as some belts
are a bit too short! And, yes, I had the parts guy double-check
the part number with that printed on the belt, itself.

What I did:

With PS pump slackened and pushed all the way against the engine...

Do the PS pump pulley last. Try to get the belt started on the PS pump
pulley as best you can.

Go under car, and use a long breaker bar and socket to turn the engine
over by hand.

The belt will pop on, with some help using the tip of a wood dowel.

I didn't need to tension the belt at this point - and, actually, the tension
felt OK after tightening all of the PS Pump hold-down bolts and adjust locking
screws and nuts.

Back