• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Please?

Year of vehicle, engine, outside temperature, 5 mins from stone cold or 5 mins on the freeway? Why do you think there's a problem?

Details man, details!

Sounds like a cooling problem to me, or a clogged exhaust.

Xj 99 4.0L, outside temp about 63 degrees. 5 mins from warming up in the driveway.

The only reason I cautious is because it was given to me. The person that gave it to me knows very little about cars but the reason he gave it to me was because he said it overheated and stopped working for whatever reasons and he's just wants to give it away.

Thinking it might have been the head, I did the basic test like checking the oil to see if it's milky brown and look for moister in between the 3rd and the 4rth cylinders and nothing looks wrong from those aspects, Everything looks fine.

It's only my second day and I love this jeep. I need to know if this baby is going to croke on me or are theses tempetures normal for jus sitting in the driveway warming up? 210/220

I have a '96 Sport 4.0L, and my cooling fan kicks in fast and often...I've replaced the radiator, all hoses...headers, exhaust, all filters known to man, keep all fluids to level, all gaskets fresh...I've just come to realize that my beast gets hot fast and easy. I know I'm not much help, and your temp increase is a bit faster than mine -but not by much....I've never really had any problems though...for me it is what it is. I live with it. -Sorry for not giving you any solid info.

Sport cherokee said:
Xj 99 4.0L, outside temp about 63 degrees. 5 mins from warming up in the driveway.

The only reason I cautious is because it was given to me. The person that gave it to me knows very little about cars but the reason he gave it to me was because he said it overheated and stopped working for whatever reasons and he's just wants to give it away.

Thinking it might have been the head, I did the basic test like checking the oil to see if it's milky brown and look for moister in between the 3rd and the 4rth cylinders and nothing looks wrong from those aspects, Everything looks fine.

It's only my second day and I love this jeep. I need to know if this baby is going to croke on me or are theses tempetures normal for jus sitting in the driveway warming up? 210/220
Seems fine to me, does it go up any more or does the backup fan go on? Mine takes maybe a min or two more but thats while traveling (usually 40mph or so).

At that starting temperature, I'd say you do not necessarily have cooling problems, if the temp goes up to about 210-220 and doesn't rise higher. It will come up pretty fast standing still with no air flow.

It's a good idea to check things like the fans, make sure that the radiator is not clogged, all the usual checks for a healthy cooling system. Take it out for a ride and see how it goes on the highway. If it seems to hold steady, then try something that resembles wheeling or geing stuck in traffic, driving around very very slowly in a low gear. This is where a sick cooling system will really start to show. Keep an ear peeled for the sound of fans kicking in and when you hear the fan come on, look for any drop in the gauge. Make sure the pressure cap is good too. Don't open it hot, but wait until it's nearly cool and pull it. Do you hear pressure escaping? You should. It's surprising how much effect a slightly bad cap can have.

Check underhood temps too. Does something seem abnormally hot? When you shut it down, does it tick and pop and hiss and boil? The possibility of an exhaust restriction has been raised, worth looking into if it runs hot without any discernible problems in the cooling system.

Finally, don't forget that the gauge may not be 100 percent accurate. A thermometer somewhere else in the system might be worth trying if you have doubts.

My 99 runs more in the 200-210 range, but I live in a pretty cool climate. My 95 always has run closer to 220, even with a new radiator, but it never overheated except when the cap failed.

Sport cherokee said:

I doupt it will croke. These beasts can take a lot of hell and abuse. When I bought mine the overflow bottle (sealed plastic reservoir) was bad, the cap was bad (leaking), the fan clutch was bad, the radiator was 80 % plugged, and the exhaust catalytic converter was plugged, and I could still start her up and a make a ten minute trip in 85 F ambient weather without it boiling over, but it did get hot, like 230 F or there abouts.

Becuase I was having so much heat trouble I installed a cooler thermostat. Now that I have most everything fixed I may go back to the factor thermostat which is 195 F.

To my way of thinking if everything is working correctly it should be running at 195 F, but as others have said the gauges are not exact.

I would look for leaks and a poorly sealing cap on the plastic overflow/reservoir bottle as the usual suspects.

210 to 220 F is OK, but it leaves little room for additonal heat rise from A/C use, higher ambients, etc. At 220 F the electric auxilliary fan should turn on and cool the system back down 20 to 25 degrees before turning off.

Just took it for a ride to see if it would go over 210/220 and it stayed in between those markings. I never knew theses things ride so good. I was telling myself " If it got a bum head I was going to put some of that engine seal stuff in there and sell it to someone fast". After taking my family out for a latenight ride I can se myself keeping it regardless of future problems, thanks for all the info.

You should check and see if the electric fan is turning on at all. Then recheck it and the coolant bottle cap/gasket before you start running the AC next spring especially since the prior owner said it was overheating. Also check the fan belt for age and that it is not loose and all the radiator coolant and heater hoses for leaks or signs of old age.

Then enjoy the Jeep experience!

Back