• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

outer axle seal d35 non-clip

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
My non c-clip d35 is leaking fluid from the tube onto my drums and needs to be replaced. I did a little searching and read something about the new outer seal is pressed in with the bearing on the shaft? So it cant be replaced unless its pressed on with a new bearing?

First, are you sure it's gear oil and not brake fluid? You didn't say what year, but your profile says 1992 which would have c-clips. I think if you have the rubber butt plug in the diff, it's definitely a c-clip version.

The c-clip D35 is pretty easy to replace just the outer seal by sliding out the shafts since bearing is not pressed in. I'd do both sides and replace the bearing while you're in there for good measure. If the bearings go bad and seize they can tear up the shafts. The c-clip version uses the gear oil to lube the bearing and only has a single outer seal which makes it more prone to leaking.

In the non-clip version, the bearing is pressed onto the shaft and has an inner and outer seal. The bearing is lubed with bearing grease and both seals would have to be bad to get gear oil leaking out. The downside is that you need to press or cut the old bearing race off with a chisel and press a new bearing on if you want to redo the outer seal.

Yes the outer seal must be put on before the bearing,Just did my 89 d35 bearing and seals yesterday, it really helps to have a torch (to cut the collar off-dont torch the shaft though), slide hammer-(to remove the shaft from the diff), a press- (to press the new bearing and colar onto the shaft), you can do it the backyard way, it'll just take a little longer, use a big hammer, good cold chisel and you can put the shaft in the deep freezer and the bearing and collar in the oven to help get the bearing on. Make sure your diff vent is clear and not clogged, thats what blew my seals.

I redid the bearings and seals on my MJ when I swapped on crown vic disk brakes. I used a dremel to cut a slot in the collar and bearing race and a chisel to pop them. Didn't have a slide hammer, so I slide the drums back on with the nuts on a few turns and used that as a slide hammer of sorts. They popped right out. Bearing press made getting the new bearings on a breeze. A shop would probably charge you $20?

I bought the bearing kit which included replacement retainer plates, outer seal, inner seal and the bearing. The kit didn't say it included the inner seal so I wound up with an extra set of those.

Back