• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Someone with a renix FSM

nc_boostn

NAXJA Forum User
Please help, I've been to the local dealers and no one has anything old enough. I have a 85 cherokee with systems sentry, and it lights up "checking" everytime the car is running. I need the pages from the fsm that refer to the troubleshooting and schematics, please.

Thanks in advance

Got more information? I've got some old AMC manuals around here, if you're not in a hurry (I'd have to dig them out before I could look through them.)

Most dealers won't have anything - for starters, even though ChryCo bought AMC in 1988, they're still Chrysler dealerships. Second, they typically only stock stuff ten years after its latest application (System Sentry went out in 1986 or 1987, I think.) Third - even Tech Authority won't have AMC FSMs - you'd have to find them on Ebay or somesuch. (It's doable, but not easy. I've been "doable" for a while now, and it's only netted me a few manuals. I'm working on a 1963 to extract information right now...)

I'm perfectly willing to help - but with all the information at my disposal and all the sifting I'm doing, I need two things to help you:
1) Time. This isn't usually something I can do at the drop of a hat (I have my own projects I'm working on, which is why I'm gathering all this information. See my website for details.)

2) Information. Year/make/model/engine as a minimum - then we can get into symptomology and suchlike afterwards. I've got FSMs spanning from 1963 to 2001, so I do need something more directed than my own "free association" to work with, or you're going to get some really strange answers...

So, help me help you, and we can both come out ahead on this...

5-90

thanks for the quick responses. I actually had another member send me the 88 FSM, which as 5-90 stated doesn't help with system sentry. Although I didn't know that til after I looked through it. My vehicle is a 1985 Jeep Cherokee, it is a 2.8l auto. I am waiting, and not in any hurry as this is my only venue for help now. Thanks again.

Okay here you go this is gonna be long because it comes from the FSM word for word.
SYSTEM Sentry Diagnosis
When a fluid level falls below normal appropriate red warning light on display illuminates to alert the driver.
We have fluid level. Disck brake pad sensor and signal fuse, Display module replacement and remote module replacement.
It says that the light will go out when it is corrected however if it does not or if the fluid level was okay refer to the electrical troubleshooter for diagnostic.
If its your front brake pads you have to replace the 4amp signal fuse and the brake pad wear sensors must also be replaced.

There are six sensors total!power steering level, brake fluid level, W/S washer fluid level, Engine coolant level, Brake pad wear sensor and engine oil level. Which one is illuminating on the dash.

Hope this helps John

I'm assuming it's the "Checking" indicator at the bottom left of the display panel then, yes?

No real information on it (but the Systems Sentry section in M.R. 244 is only C202-C206...) but if that stays illuminated, and nothing "goes green" in the upper display, it sounds like the control module itself may be cooked. Quoting again...

"The system warning lights are contained in the display module mounted in the instrument cluster. Three different color warning lights are used in the module.

"Amber checking lights indicate that each of the various systems is being checked.

"A green light indicates that the fluid level or pads are OK.

"A red light indicates that the fluid level or pads should be cheked and corrected if necessary.

"NOTE: Disconnected fluid level sensor wires or open circuits will also cause a red light to illuminate. (However, no red light illuminates for disconnected brake pad wear sensor wires.)"

M.R. 244 doesn't say anything directly about controller failure for SS, but are any of the amber lights coming on, or just the "Checking" light down bottom? You should be getting each light coming on amber until system status is confirmed - if you aren't, I'm inclined to think the controller is blown...

5-90

hmm, yes it's only the "checking" light coming on. I have pulled the blue box below that all the harness go to from the display. Nothing is burnt on the board or loose. Any ideas? I'm sure finding another box will be impossible. I am very good at small electronic repair so I figured I could repair it, but nothing looks out of place. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help so far. I noticed there really wasn't anything on here about the systems sentry so I wanted to get as much info as possible.

System Sentry is uncommon, even on early XJs - so there wouldn't be much.

I'll check later, but I don't see a lot of component-level troubleshooting information for the SS controller. I haven't seen any wiring diagrams in M.R.244 yet, but that could just be because I wasn't looking at the time (I'm taking a break, since I whacked my hand moving some stuff around the house, and it's still not listening very well... My smart hand, too...)

If I find anything, I'll let you know. If you want to find a FSM for your rig, looks like you'll want an AMC manual, M.R. 244. Check ebay for listings, and www.booksforcars.com (I think - Google it to be sure.)

5-90

nc_boostn said:
Yea a wiring schematic is what I'm really after, in the mean time I will be searching ebay. thanks

Somehow, I think this is going to get fun. M.R. 244 doesn't seem to have overall wiring diagrams, meaning they may be in a separate book (I'm not sure if I have that one or not - I've lost track.)

Considering SS hasn't been used for the best part of 20 years, finding parts - either aftermarket or NOS (New Old Stock) is going to be hit-or-miss at best - with likelihood increasing for NOS parts, I think. Good luck!

5-90

Then you want the electrical troubleshooting 70 series cherokee/wagoneer from jeep. I have that and again got it from books4cars.com.

would this be it?

85 Electrical Troubleshooting & Wiring Manual by Jeep for Cherokee, & Wagoneer (85_8981_320_667) $44.95

Also I really don't need a whole book, would you be willing to work something out with me for just that section?

This is the one i got and why wouldnt you want the book. When something happens they are invaluable. The guys here are good but alas they are not computers and cannot store all the info needed or procedures.
http://www.books4cars.com/result3.asp?finddesc=wagoneer&imageField2.x=11&imageField2.y=9
12th book down from top

Sure i will help with what i can i do not have a scanner to scan the page but maybe i can get someone to do it for me then e-mail it to you. Or copy it on a copier then snail mail it if that helps. Just let me know!

E-mail me (mrcowherd at speedtrail.net) and I will snail-mail you a copy of the System Sentry and Clock wiring diagram. It shows only the wiring external to the "System Sentry Remote Module" and the "System Sentry Display Module." It does not show the internal circuitry of the modules, which may be the repairs you were hoping to make.

Back