• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifted Front-End Shimmy Cures?

Bux01XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've perused the forums on the infamous "death-wobble" and I am curious if any of you have experienced it or know if the polyurethane bushings have made any difference.

I have an '01 XJ with a 2-year-old 3" BDS kit, with MT 31's. The rig has been running great until about 4 months ago when I had my tires rotated. Shortly thereafter the "death wobble" occurred on three separate occasions between 55-70 mph. Neither I nor my local pro shop (who rotated the tires) can find anything wrong with the front end, and I've since had the front-end re-aligned twice (both times to be found heavy toe-in, assumed from the death wobble).

That was two weeks ago since the last inspection/align and the death wobble is still there, occurring on the @#$% bumpy state highways here in Arkansas.

I've considered every possible option I can find ... thinking the poly's may be the best choice for the 'end-all' cure.

I have a 2000 with a 3" lift that I did just last summer. I may have seen you on the highway, I just moved to Cabot. I initially experienced the death wobble (very violent, I ended up over the shoulder and onto a frontage road from the highway) right at about 55 and I was pretty sure it was because of the alignment. I was still running the stock tires and rims at the time. I had an alignment done which took care of it, but it still felt a little loose to me, especially after putting some MTR's on it. I then bought an adjustable track bar and after installing it and having another alignment things are good. That was all back in August/September. Mine was a rusty's kit, and I also initially put a newer/larger steering stabilizer on it too.

I'm sure the shop took care of it, but they did balance the tires too didn't they?

Do you have the stock lower control arms or longer ones. The lift and stock control arms will affect the caster. Most lift manufacturer have listed a warning about it. The longer control arms bring the axe foward to the original angle. I am no expert but this is the info I got.

You are exactly correct Frankkl! I finally replaced my stock control arms with adjustables (upper and lower). Damn the cost, at long last I have my Jeep in perfect working order - NO DEATH WOBBLE. Turns out after closer study, the control arm angle is pointed right AT the bumps in the road and can exacerbate the inherent lateral instability of the unibody frame.

An improvement to this would probably be adding some kind of crossmember to stiffen the frame, though I have seen bolt-on after-market bumper/winch assemblies (such as Warn) basically do just that.

Back