• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now Jeep Won't Start

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
My first guess would be that I was messing with the NSS last night and it didnt want to come off to i put bolt back on, etc. Started it fine today after putting my front axle back in for the test drive, check engine light came on. Brought it to auto zone and they said it was transmission controller, etc. or something. So they cleared it and when i got home, thought that was that. I just went out there to pull it into the garage to try using pb blaster but unfortuantely it wont start. I can hear something click (coming from the fuse box thing) by the right foot on the passenger side, but it wont turn over. Anybody have any ideas :helpme: ?

Just went out and tried wiggling around the NSS, tried starting in every gear, nothing.... just about had it :gonnablow

BBeach said:
Bump, anyone know how to bypass the NSS to let my jeep start?

Jump the B&C terminals in the harness

Your NSS connector may look like this:

nssnewqw7.jpg

Or this:
nssconnectorgv0.jpg

So disconnect the wires when they connect to the "ecu side" by the tranny dipstick, and then put the "jumper" into the "ecu side". Im a noob with electronics but i dont really have a choice here.

Yep, That's it. You don't even need to worry about the "mirror" image. Just make sure the pair is on the correct side of the connector.

Meanwhile, you can use a ohm meter or a continuity light (or even a flashlight bulb a battery and some wire to check the connections in the NSS itself.

Can i remove the pin once its started? Im prolly gonna use a cotter pin ( i havent seen the connector yet), but ive got some spares from the axle install today. So basically just unplug it, put it in the B and C ones on the ecu side and im all set?

Yep, of course that assumes your NSS is at fault. If you check the continuity, you'll know for sure.

You can jump it to start it and then remove the jumper. However, if you stall in traffic, you'll need to jump out (pun intended) and do it again.

First off, what year is it? If it is an early model, you can simply ground the black/white wire on the starter solenoid and bypass the NSS.

His profile says it's a '98. I wasn't sure what NSS he had so I posted the one from my '93 FSM and my '00 FSM.

793834_40_full.jpg

I did the bottom row two middle ones together with a wire stripped at the end, shoved it in there good and still nothing...Im pretty sure that was the correct connector?

The other one that is unconnected went down in the same region as well, also could it be the white connector? This thing is killing me, in the case i get it jumped, and bring it to the garage, then what?

There are two connectors going down to the tranny. One is the NSS connector and the other is the solenoid/sensor connector. You probably don't want to start shorting out stuff in the second connector.

The idea was that you could leave the jumper in place indefinitely, but you'll be able to start with the stick in any position and won't have reverse lights.

Well, since it starts you can assume your NSS is trashed. You need to remove and rebuild it, or replace it if you cracked it when you tried to remove it before.

Saudade said:
Well, since it starts you can assume your NSS is trashed. You need to remove and rebuild it, or replace it if you cracked it when you tried to remove it before.
Im gonna pull it in to the garage now to check it out, but if its dead, does anyone have a spare one around or should i try the junkyard.

Went to auto zones, pulled up 4 DTC's 0700, 0703, 0705, 0743. Jeep doesnt get into 4th gear goes 1-2-3 then lockup in 3rd. Wont start unless i stick a paperclip in the #2 and #3 spots on the connector. Anyone?!?!?

P0700 (M)
Check Transmission DTC's
This code indicates that the EATX (Transmission controller) has an active fault and has illuminated the MIL via a BUS message.

P0703 (M)

Brake Switch Stuck Pressed or Released
Incorrect input state detected in the brake switch circuit. (Changed from P1595).

P0705

Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)

P0743 (M)
Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid/Transmission Relay Circuits
An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter clutch (part throttle unlock) solenoid control circuit. Shift solenoid C electrical fault - Aisin transmission.

Sure you didn't mess up the other connector for the solenoid connections? The codes hint that you are getting into 4th, but not locking up. Might be as simple as the brake switch being stuck or the control circuit for the lockup solenoid got shorted when you were random shorting out connectors.

Last edited:
Back